CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,447 posts in this topic

In my opinion the T-hex has a tight wiggle as opposed to a slash.  I really like the profile.  I bought a couple of the Hogy jigs at ******, threw them in Costa Rica, they looked great in the water, unfortunately no luck.  The testing will continue, lol

I like the sound of the action as you describe it with the T-hex. I'll have to take a closer look at them and maybe grab a couple. I've caught Albies on the Hogy jigs and there are other manufacturers who make very similar products, epoxy jigs have been popular for years. This past season with the Albies, when I wasn't fly fishing I was tossing the Point Wilson Glow Bellies and they worked great. They have a nice slashing motion and they cast a mile as they are a full 1 oz. Dart. Thanks for getting into the T-hex a little bit for us as it was admittedly not on my list simply because I haven't tried them. 

Posted (edited)

I fish mostly at Indian River Inlet in DE. Most folks are throwing bucktails and swim shads with some SP minnows thrown in the mix.

Good Old Delaware! Nice area. Last time I was down there I stumbled into Helen's Sausage House down there on the Korean War Vets Memorial Highway. YUM  

Sounds like the guys in your area are throwing the usual stuff. When you see specific bait showing, try a Charlie Graves Tin as a specific imitator. If it you can't get a fish on one you can go to Helen's, tell them to drag a Sausage through the garden and then at least say I gave you some good advice! LOL

Seriously though, try the tins for specific baitfish. It's a good way to get some confidence with them. Also, if you see a blitz on a really windy day, you might want a heavy tin like the Point Jude Nautilus or a Kastmaster or Deadly Dick. You will catch something, I'm pretty confident saying this based on your fishery. You have a lot of Bunker in those back bays off of Indian River, so that may be why everybody is tossing the Paddle Tails, which are obviously the primary way to go. You'll get the Peanuts in the fall, that's where the tins come in handy. 

Edited by CaryGreene

Posted (edited)

OK, fellas. Let's take a pause here to recap some big take aways of where we're at thus far:

1. Don't forget to work tins slowly, let them do what they like to do, flutter. 

2. Tins/metals can work the entire water column and can even deliver bucktails, they can be jigged, they can be burned up top, they can be worked down deep, they can even be used at night to bump a sandy bottom and stay beneath the waves.

3. Tins/metals and Pork Rinds seem to go together. Why aren't we using them?

4. Tins can be deadly as specific baitfish imitators, consider broadening from your favorite all purpose imitators to some specific imitators for difficult situations - think about the body profile your choices present. Are they correct for the situation? The only way you will know for sure is to keep a lookout for bait to show.

5. (New Idear Here) Try delivering a Dropper with a tin. Why not? Tins cast nice. Use a heavy tin and see what happens. If you are looking for a good Dropper choice, try a Black Red Gill Rascal 4" as a starting point (just trust me on this).

6. A tail can increase your body profile and give you a way to present a bigger bait plus give you some extra action. Tails can be bucktail, feather, tube, soft plastic or rind.

7. Taking the tail off can also be the ticket when you need to get smaller. 

8. A few correctly picked metals can really help you simplify your assortment.

9. If you face windy conditions, think metal, Metals can also be deadly in current & if you face current, think about a Dart style Metal, which is designed for current.

10. Metals catch anything that swims, including Stripers, Blues and Albies. 

11. Certain Metals cast really far, if you need distance get the right type of Metal and let it rip.

Now, where do we take our thread from here? Like I always say, the results of the group are better than the results of the individual.  I have more goodies to share & will do so soon. In the mean time, by all means hit me with some Heavy Metal! (or some light Tin) Our conversation will take us where we don't expect to go. 

Poem A Result of Re-Cap and Scotch...

A Metal Dream

...slowly the tin fluttered

under the boiling waves

Deep the Dart Dove

towards the rock summit

far beneath the green sea

...slithering pork rinds

trailing glistening chrome flashes

dancing feathers and hanging hair

tubes of green and red did trail and

sparkling plastics made steel come alive

...an answer to the Spearing's challenge

like the pearl Butterfish and the flashing Peanut Bunker

like the streaking Herring and the slithering sand eel

like the shimmering mullet and the jumping rain bait

Metals swirled simply, in wonder to us all

...longer, shorter, faster, slower, further they sped

no rain, no wind, no gale did they dread

no raging current tamed their quest

the predators were seduced, no target was too far

Of Metal and of Tin is what they are...

Made by man and thrown to the sea

Made by man and carried secretly

Made by man and thrown to the sea

To return again and yet again

Of Metal. Of Tin. 

Edited by CaryGreene

My "go-to" is Metal; especially if I am going in blind.  They always produce for me; almost anything will hit a metal.  I got a monster Mutton Snapper on a Sting-O PBJ doing everything wrong while I was visiting my father in the Abacos a couple weeks ago.   ;)

Here is a pic of some of my arsenal; some of which have not been mentioned yet.

Halco Streaker; Halco Twisty Chrome; Daddy Mac Albie Series; Got-Cha JIGFISH; Coltsnipers (Mentioned); Hogy/SI Heavy Minnos...

Off to the right are Sting-O PBJ; Too the left are self evident.  This thread is making me want to break out the other boxes. :-)

post-43624-0-66341500-1459680908_thumb.jpg

Good Old Delaware! Nice area. Last time I was down there I stumbled into Helen's Sausage House down there on the Korean War Vets Memorial Highway. YUM

Sounds like the guys in your area are throwing the usual stuff. When you see specific bait showing, try a Charlie Graves Tin as a specific imitator. If it you can't get a fish on one you can go to Helen's, tell them to drag a Sausage through the garden and then at least say I gave you some good advice! LOL

Seriously though, try the tins for specific baitfish. It's a good way to get some confidence with them. Also, if you see a blitz on a really windy day, you might want a heavy tin like the Point Jude Nautilus or a Kastmaster or Deadly Dick. You will catch something, I'm pretty confident saying this based on your fishery. You have a lot of Bunker in those back bays off of Indian River, so that may be why everybody is tossing the Paddle Tails, which are obviously the primary way to go. You'll get the Peanuts in the fall, that's where the tins come in handy.

So you know Helen's :) Fantastic place just don't dawdle with your order!

Thanks for the tips. I have been trying Hopkins and diamond jigs in an attemptvto get lower, but I feel I need to work on my retrieve. I have been doing a twitch, fall, a few cranks. With the water moving so fast to keep tension on my line the tin is back before I know it though. Any suggestions, all? Thanks again!

so the offset tube will spin and not the whole lure?

Red,

I get the need for a swivel on the Kastmaster, i was referring to the A17s.

Good Lord.  An outbreak of poetry? On SOL?

This is only the second attack of this kind that I recall.  The first was an ode to a misplaced eel.  :)

Red,

I get the need for a swivel on the Kastmaster, i was referring to the A17s.

apologies, I see the trebles - possibly they were added with the split rings, not sure the swivel is needed in that case.  in my limited A17 experience they came originally with the "offset" tube without split ring, so direct to swivel so I made an assumption.  what is the proper name for those tube hooks with the bend in the middle btw? Atom put them on back of the single hook version of popper years ago with no tube.

Red,

Heck, no need for apologies!

I have very little experience with the diamonds.  I'm certain that I've never bought one new, so I don't know what they "should" look like.

After doing a bit of searching, I found several images that are helpful.

It appears that they come primarily with a single hook attached via a swivel, which as you see, can be dressed many ways.  the split rings seem to appear when treble hooks are involved, so I think that you're right in that the split rings are used to retrofit the hook.

post-54407-0-72149400-1459721855.jpg

post-54407-0-97821700-1459721877.jpg

post-54407-0-90664600-1459721886.jpg

post-54407-0-55881500-1459721898.jpg

post-54407-0-86487300-1459721907.jpg

Which brings up another question. 

How does one attach a swivel with what appears to be solid rings on both ends to anything else without either using split rings or cutting an eye?

Which brings up another question. 

How does one attach a swivel with what appears to be solid rings on both ends to anything else without either using split rings or cutting an eye?

That is attached when it is being cast when the wire loop is open, It will just stick out of the mold..

Now back to a separate notion...

That of how to dress the hook on a tin.

I had the pleasure of chatting with Bill Hurley today at the MSBA Expo.  One of the rigs he had was an AVA-style diamond tin to which was attached his (I'm guessing 1/2 oz.) sand eel jig head with a short sand eel.  I couldn't find an image of it, so imagine an AVA tin to which one has attached his sand eel jig head.

I've attached a pic of just the rigged jig head from Bill Hurley.

I'm wondering if there's a need (with all due respect to Bill) for the jig head?  Wouldn't it be much simpler to simply use his rubber tail on the single hook of the diamond jig?  Seems easier to cast and less chance of fouling on the bottom.

Have any of you used that rig as provided by Bill Hurley Lures? 

Thoughts?

Criticisms?

post-54407-0-34890600-1459723818.jpg

Posted (edited)

My "go-to" is Metal; especially if I am going in blind. They always produce for me; almost anything will hit a metal. I got a monster Mutton Snapper on a Sting-O PBJ doing everything wrong while I was visiting my father in the Abacos a couple weeks ago. ;)

Here is a pic of some of my arsenal; some of which have not been mentioned yet.

Halco Streaker; Halco Twisty Chrome; Daddy Mac Albie Series; Got-Cha JIGFISH; Coltsnipers (Mentioned); Hogy/SI Heavy Minnos...

Off to the right are Sting-O PBJ; Too the left are self evident. This thread is making me want to break out the other boxes. :-)

Ohhh, YEA! Chuk, Chukah Chukahhhhh, Beautiful!! Guys here is another look at that Colt Sniper, WHAT a Metal! Notice the edges how their beveled you can kind of see it in this picture of the Ahi Brown which was absolutely deadly last year for silver sides., like I said these are often out of stock but if you have a chance to grab one it's well worth it can be a total day saver and it's an excellent choice when the water's choppy because don't forget it casts like a missile and it gets down beneath the surface as it falls it just flutters like mad and you can reel it in also or jig it.

post-40947-0-55727300-1459726699_thumb.jpgpost-40947-0-43992200-1459726745_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaryGreene

Posted (edited)

Those Hogy Epoxy Jigs are very sexy and they flutter like mad because they are so light here they are in a couple different sizes great fall Albies & Bonita & great for any time you need a rain bait or silver sides imitation.

post-40947-0-80671200-1459726808_thumb.jpg

Like I mentioned the epoxy jigs are made by all sorts of different manufacturers and have been for a very long time here are some nice Yozuri options in all sizes tiny to large.

Obviously we're pushing it a little here as technically I'm not sure if these are really Metals, but we can lump them into the category because it makes sense to do so.

post-40947-0-10741600-1459726849_thumb.jpgpost-40947-0-24196200-1459726881_thumb.jpgpost-40947-0-25590500-1459726922_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaryGreene