CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

879 posts in this topic

36 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

How do you use these type of bucktails?

Man o man!  I'd love to have one of those BTs when squidlies are around!!!

I'm keen to hear what Beachglass Guru has to say about how he fished them, but up here (SE MA and Cape Cod) I envision casting it out and holding it in current.  With enough current, I'd back-swim it, hold it, let it drop back more, hold it, ad infinitum (or until I was getting low on braid), then retrieve it a yard or two at a time, letting it sit before bringing it in for the next yard or two.  

Beachglass, can you share with us who makes that BT and/or where one might purchase it?

10 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Oh, sheet!  I had not considered pop rivets.  DUH. (I only use them every week for gutter work.)  I'll look for bigger pop rivets than we use for gutter work.  Once the rivet is "formed" it is a simple matter to drill out the shank.

To Dan, 

It seems like I could flare the eyelets with the appropriate (=fat, tapered) punch?  (This is separate from rivets.)

9 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Dan,

5/32" is pretty close to the 3/16" that you use.

This bears more investigation on my part, no doubt.

Sheesh, we might be onto something here!!!!

My thinking was to knock the stem out first and use the body like a eyelet, flaring the blank end without forming the rivet as such.  However, what you suggested may work.  Only trial and error will prove which is better.  One of the purposes is to provide a nice clean, smooth hole to attach a split ring or snap.  

On 9/8/2018 at 9:28 PM, CaryGreene said:

The more we think we know, the more we realize how much there is still to learn.  

I am often reminded that the school of hard knocks is a great way to learn & what really matters is kindness to others & willingness to share. This is what makes our sport great.

Cary......this is what makes this THREAD great !!  

I've always loved tins......but i think you've woken up alot of surfcasters to this subject matter.......

Great job my friend !!

On 9/30/2018 at 0:54 PM, Southcoastphil said:

For those of you who fish these keeled tins, and with a single hook, do you orient the hook point up or down?  I've always gone with up, but hope to learn the pros/cons of either approach.

Yes Phil......Keel facing down warrants the hook facing up on the opposite side.  I found that this allows the hook free of snags when working the tin near the bottom due to that hook facing up away from the sand and/or vegetation........:th:

On 10/8/2018 at 0:25 PM, yogiiiboy said:

Cary......this is what makes this THREAD great !!  

I've always loved tins......but i think you've woken up alot of surfcasters to this subject matter.......

Great job my friend !!

Absolutely true buddy. No sooner then you lost your dog, my father passed away. Sorry for the delay in response. 

5 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Absolutely true buddy. No sooner then you lost your dog, my father passed away. Sorry for the delay in response. 

Very sorry for your loss my friend. 

11 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

Condolences to you and your family.