CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,447 posts in this topic

Just for the record my biggest fish ever was on a white 4oz.crippled herring. Jones beach field 6, early fall a few years ago. The fish in my pic is a sturgeon that measured just over 6 feet. According to charts a fish that size ranges from 100 to 120 pounds. Metals are my go to in the surf.

Cary I'm working on a friend of mine that has a collection of Charlie Pasquale tins. I'll be in touch if I can get him to part with some.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Like I said with the Crippled Herring, doesn't look like much, hanging there on the shelf next to all the holographic spoons. Get one home, open it up...hmmmm. Nicely made lure. Fish it a little. hmmmm, holds up nice without chipping all to H#$%! on the first day. Work it a bit. Gee. Swims really nice, slashes like mad in fact. Uh Oh. Got One! That's how the story goes. 

beached again your friend will want you to have them if you can pry them off of him. They are seriously sought after, I was googling them yesterday and people clearly revere them. I feel that way about..hmmmm. My old, beat up Ithaca Shot Gun? Maybe my Sage SLT 9' 4wt. Rod? hmmm. No. 

Oh, I know. yes. My Penn Squidder. My ex fiance bought if for me for my birthday. She died of breast cancer. Will always love that reel. 

Hi Mitchell,

They are nice and light, I remember selling tons of them at Cabela's. A lot of guys like them. They have some nice colors to them too, very prismatic. 

I've got a few Krocodiles that are over 2 oz and cast like a rocket, great action as well.  Another great metal is the T-Hex by AOK.  Thin profile, varying lengths, cast great with good action as well.  Love the 1 oz and Stubby when the albies are around,

Hi CaryGreene,Nice work here! I have had much success with st jude tins.I started a thread a while back and asked about smaller sized fish on tins. It seems i have caught good numbers of fish but mostly smaller fish on my tin offering?suggestions? post-12617-0-26129300-1459582498_thumb.jpg

I am talking 99% canal troll fishing here.

Also I ordered some 3oz. Wilson anchovy tins for the canal.whats the thoughts on hook size? Swivel or open eye.

I will add more tins to my already heavy canal bag and try them on the next blitz. I have best luck with savages and magic swimmers during these blitzing situations. This one time I was done fishing and decided to experiment. I was hooking up evey cast on a silver MS.

I cipped on a series of different color sp minnows and swam it right thru the fish swimming at my feet.they all clearly avoided these lures swimming around them as not to hit/bump into all of them like they were made of poison!,,i saw the school split as i reeled in

Then i clipped back on my MS and back to a fish every cast again!

So in this situation I will give tins a shot. It will get distance on the casts and i hope get on some larger fish.

I was talking tins with stewie and he showed me how to bend the tin over a dowel a little to get more flutter.

I do this with my ultra light ice fishing jig/tin it adds great action!

thanks for such a great thread! I have a ton of metals but do not see a lot of folks throwing the where I am at.

Cary I'm sorry for your loss. Hold that squidder dear to your heart. I will never let mine go, same goes for my surfmaster. My friend was close with Charlie, I'm sure he has plenty to part with. We will see. I think he might even have a mold or two, that would be awesome.

Unlucky, they work at night also. Cast along the shore line and retrieve slow. Or let it sink to the bottom then retrieve it slow. I find that slow works best in the dark.

The best advice thread in some time.

Many times I have simply cast and retrieved not catching until I remember to slow down and let it flutter down a bit.

As I have less time to fish than in previous years I have found that I enjoy keeping things simple, wandering around with one rod and three lures in my pocket. Tins/ metal allow that and are deadly.

Posted (edited)

Anyone ever had success putting a pork rind on a tin?

We all use pork rind on a bucktail to give it a bigger profile and more action.

I've given it a shot a couple of times when the wind was blowing and I wanted to get out further than a bucktail.  But not having great confidence in it, I've never persisted. 

(I always have bucktails, a few tins and pork rind on me in addition to the plugs I intend to fish, so the pork rind/tin combination is always an option without having to go back to the car to get another plug if I'm not catching or the wind picks up.)

Edited by charliestriper

Charlie,

I was asking that very question of myself this morning.  I was at the Westport fishing flea market, and saw some hammered tins with a single rear hook in a tube of ~4" long.

If a red tube would work, why not a red n white pork strip, or a gulp tip, or a grub tip?

I've got a few Krocodiles that are over 2 oz and cast like a rocket, great action as well.  Another great metal is the T-Hex by AOK.  Thin profile, varying lengths, cast great with good action as well.  Love the 1 oz and Stubby when the albies are around,

Hi tpoliti,

I'm not surprised to hear you say the Krocodile has nice action because they sure look kind of sexy (coming from a lure freak perspective). Now that T-Hex is one I've been slow to consider, mainly because of a belt full of Metal already. How would you characterize the action on both of these, fast tight slashing action or other? 

Also, have you tried the Hogy Epoxy Jigs and also the Hogy Metal Jig for Albies? We have had pretty good luck on these types of Albie Lures. I used the Point Wilson Glow Bellies last year and most of my friends jumped all over my supply of them. I had a dozen at the start of the fall season last year and I'm down to 3 left but I'm procrastinating. 

Cabela's makes a Mirror Image knock off of the Crippled Herring too, it does work great but it chips quick. 

I'm surprised to realize that I have never stuck a pork rind on a jig with a single hook.  Seems obvious, now that it's mentioned. D'oh!

The Kastmaster is an ideal tin for a first time user because it's a busy, highly active tin on the kind of steady, almost unvarying retrieve that most guys impart to a tin. It will buzz away happily so long as you keep cranking. I have never caught a bass on one, so far as I remember, but it's one heck of a bluefish getter.

Hi CaryGreene,Nice work here! I have had much success with st jude tins.I started a thread a while back and asked about smaller sized fish on tins. It seems i have caught good numbers of fish but mostly smaller fish on my tin offering?suggestions? attachicon.gif20141003_135637.jpg

I am talking 99% canal troll fishing here.

Also I ordered some 3oz. Wilson anchovy tins for the canal.whats the thoughts on hook size? Swivel or open eye.

I will add more tins to my already heavy canal bag and try them on the next blitz. I have best luck with savages and magic swimmers during these blitzing situations. This one time I was done fishing and decided to experiment. I was hooking up evey cast on a silver MS.

I cipped on a series of different color sp minnows and swam it right thru the fish swimming at my feet.they all clearly avoided these lures swimming around them as not to hit/bump into all of them like they were made of poison!,,i saw the school split as i reeled in

Then i clipped back on my MS and back to a fish every cast again!

So in this situation I will give tins a shot. It will get distance on the casts and i hope get on some larger fish.

Hi RRBridgeFisherman,

From the look of what  you have pictured, which is the deadly Point Jude Sea Scallop, my first suggestion is already covered. Adding a nice siawash/tail to the right tin gives it a larger profile. I've caught  (and released) 55lb. Bass on Clousers & Deceivers with a Fly Rod so I know from my experience and from checking Stomach Content, large fish eat whatever's on the menu.

When you think about Striper Behavior, they are very conditioned to respond to what is available. This suggests to me that getting big fish is more about being in the right place, when the tide is right, to have a chance. Normally we recognize when we are and we use what we're confident with. For some it's a very large plug. Does this mean big fish are more apt to respond to a big plug. It may. After all, they are lured away from what they are feeding on sometimes by large offerings. I have also taken large fish on large flies, when the bass were feeding on Cinder Worms. 

I can easily counter with my Clouser analogy and we can all argue back and forth. I tried to ask a large bass this question once but he just looked at me. lol So let's just try to use our main advantage over these leviathans. They see 10 times better than we do. They sense sound and vibration incredibly well. They smell from far away. But we happen to have larger brains. In general, Metal's work best as specific baitfish imitators. I mean, Charlie Graves doesn't make a Wonderbread Ironing Board Commander after all. Look at the names of the tins. Silversides, Peanut Bunker, Sand Eel..etc.

Often times, a problem can be solved by looking at the question from different perspectives. When I consider your question, there is actually another entirely different perspective which may contain an answer other than needing to come up with an Ironing Board Tin. 

Maybe a big Metal, like a 3oz. to 6oz. or larger Point Wilson, with a custom tail on a nice, stout Akai type hook, would do the trick. Not really because it's bigger. Rather, because it would get down deep, consistently. We know the big boys like to stay deep. If you're on the Canal, you've got the depth to try this AND the Dart handles extreme current easily. Remember back when I said there are other places on earth where the current is worse? There is a reason Canadians like these things. 

The thing is, on the Canal you need to drift when the tide rips. We're now talking about a whole different approach than reaching out and hitting showing fish. Food for thought right?

The other thing is that we have wonderful, large plugs to pick from when we want to do the big bait big fish thing. Are Metal's really going to solve this from a big lure perspective? Maybe not. But from a Depth perspective, they might have an advantage. Imagine Bass feeding on Tinkers in the Canal, out of range of many bigger plugs. Throwing a large Dart isn't a bad idear. Those ones from South Africa also look like they need to be experimented with. I'm doing that this year if I can.

The whole point of an off season thread like this one is to get us thinking. Thank you RRBridgeFisherman! Use the Metal as the tool it is and keep honing your game.