CaryGreene

Metal, from Tins to Jigs to Casting Spoons- Everything You Need to Know

Rate this topic

1,392 posts in this topic

Well I use both conventional and spinning, all braid, 50 lb.,30lb leader, mono.

With the buttah, Cast up stream 10 o'clock. Let it sink, experience helps here ,3,4,seconds. Rapid crank,with a hard,then graduall pull of the rod,you should feel the flutter. Drop it 2ta 3 seconds, repeat.

That's a great metal there Matt....... I've used that 2 oz. PJ Butterfish in combo with a teaser when I needed the extra distance here in jersey. I've have some good luck with the gold 2 oz Buttah down in Hatteras on puppy drum using the same method you do. Occasionally, though, I'd retrieve it in real slow and Bam....id get whacked hard by those redfish down there. Tough little tanks those redfish are. That little 1.5 oz smaller PJ Butter is also a fish slayer.....a slow retrieve with that one also will get a good peanut bunker imitation going.

I'll post some pics of those PJ Butters tomorrow ...... Good call Matt !!

Hey, Southcoastphil, these pics are for you!  :howdy:

Tony Accetta, various sizes. While I was looking for my tins I came across a box of these. I need to do some repairs on many of them. They're also one of my favorites. I also have a bunch of the bigger sizes that I use for trolling, but don't have pics for them yet.

This is not all I have, I have some new, still in packages too and some others in tackle boxes. Great lure & can't have too many!  :)

Couple of 15 size on which I've replaced hooks & retied. When I retie I often change feather colors too. Yellow works, but so do other colors. The yellow just seems to be more readily available. 

100_6032_zpsgr2ohq2a.jpg

Smaller size 13 & 12's

100_5994_zpsshpfvado.jpg

Size 14

100_5993_zpsvan0vfgg.jpg

Size 15, one even has a factory wire snag guard

100_5992_zpss1xfbjew.jpg

Tidewaterfly,

Man o man, I am LOVING those tins!

When I saw the first few pics that you'd posted I thought, "Gee, wonder how long those feathered tails last?"

Then I saw the group pics and thought, "Aha, some of them appear to have had their feathers trimmed!"

:-)

I'm still contemplating how to cast my size 17.  I'll try using it with a little weight on my line above the tin, but I fear that that approach will ruin the flutter action.

Thinking back to my days as an ardent FW fly fishing guy (TBT, ardent doesn't even come *close* to describing my then-passion.  Terms like "trout-tramp" and "Salmon slut" come pretty close, though.) and I recall that we used to use some little strips of lead to wrap either:

1.  Around some huge fly (think size 4 and 2 Zonkers, Wooly Buggers and Matukas) to get them deep enough in the big rivers of N New England, or

2  wrap it around the butt end of our leaders. 

Yep made casting a whole new nightmare, but it worked.

They were shaped like matchsticks and literally came in what looked just like a book of matches.  I forget the product name.  Another brand of lead "ribbon" was "LarvaLace", which was offered in small spools that looked kind of like a tippet spool with a cover.  Unfortunately, I don't have any of either one left.

i was thinking that I might be able to wrap a bit of this stuff (or even lead wire) around the hook shank that's just below the screw.  Granted, the extra weight would still not be centered on the tin body, but it might be close enough to keep some of the flutter, but with a bit faster sink rate and a bit better castability. 

Or, I wonder if i could fit a 2x or 3x hook into that tin?

Thoughts?

I saw in a catalog of a Co. named with two T's a J18 Tin. Because of the J, I think it might be a copy of a Charlie Graves. Claims this Tin is good off the beach in shallow water. Anyone use this Tin? They also had Swedish Pimples in different weights.

Hey, Southcoastphil, these pics are for you!  :howdy:

Tony Accetta, various sizes. While I was looking for my tins I came across a box of these. I need to do some repairs on many of them. They're also one of my favorites. I also have a bunch of the bigger sizes that I use for trolling, but don't have pics for them yet.

This is not all I have, I have some new, still in packages too and some others in tackle boxes. Great lure & can't have too many!  :)

Couple of 15 size on which I've replaced hooks & retied. When I retie I often change feather colors too. Yellow works, but so do other colors. The yellow just seems to be more readily available. 

100_6032_zpsgr2ohq2a.jpg

Smaller size 13 & 12's

100_5994_zpsshpfvado.jpg

Size 14

100_5993_zpsvan0vfgg.jpg

Size 15, one even has a factory wire snag guard

100_5992_zpss1xfbjew.jpg

I never saw those before. Can i see the front?if the screw loosens can the hook fall off? What keeps it tight?

Thanks for showing...

Yes, the Tony Accetta Pet spoon is what these are called &  is made from brass, at least the older ones are, and has a threaded hole thru the spoon. The screw goes thru the hook eye & threaded into the spoon. A lot of guys use products like Loc-Tite on the screw to keep it from getting loose. The screw has to be tightened carefully to keep from stripping the threads.

Phil, the feathers have not been trimmed, they're just worn out or have been chewed off.  :laugh:

The sizes bigger than the 15 are tough to cast, particularly any distance. I don't recall trying to cast anything bigger than the size 15 myself. They're a much better trolling spoon in those bigger sizes IMO. I have them up to a size 21 which is huge. I think the size 21 has a 12/0 hook in it. I'll have to dig the bigger ones out & take some measurements & post pics. 

They're a very popular spoon with Chesapeake Bay anglers, but primarily as a trolling lure. 

Ahh!

OK, so I got some pics of some other size Accetta spoons, plus found some other brands I have in my arsenal.

100_6126_zpsny3mlbnx.jpg

This is a size 21. As you can see the spoon is a bit over 7" long. Not something you want to try to cast. It's definitely a trolling spoon.

100_6103_zpsc1ldplol.jpg

Width is about 2 1/2" at the widest dimension. I had added the holographic tape. Originally was all white.

100_6104_zpsbqmpbe5l.jpg

Inside is painted white.

100_6105_zpsgakzspla.jpg

A size 18 Accetta

100_6102_zpsjoqqvx3n.jpg

Size 18

100_6099_zpsrrosuckm.jpg

Another 18 in Wonder Bread color.

100_6101_zpszyvpm8by.jpg

Size 17 trailer hook. Better for trolling than casting

100_6100_zpszhodeh7w.jpg

Size 18 in green & chartreuse

100_6098_zpsbdvfl7hh.jpg

Size 17

100_6094_zpsrs9blpfc.jpg

More size 18

100_6096_zpsbfdfzshj.jpg

17 & 18 comparison

100_6093_zps8yipshxq.jpg

Size 17 with trailer hooks

100_6095_zpszsfquvxm.jpg

Size 17 is about 4" long

100_6089_zpstpxpl3lf.jpg

Size 18 is about 5 1/4" long

100_6088_zpsc0ekyrdy.jpg

Size 18 is s lightly wider than size 17

100_6092_zps0lbfzzqi.jpg

100_6091_zpsubdzlc2x.jpg

These are Crippled Alewive spoons. size 5/0 & 3/0

100_6106_zpsiojt6fwu.jpg

Gold 5/0

100_6111_zpsg88say5m.jpg

Chartreuse 5/0

100_6108_zpskjdjboa1.jpg

Nickle 5/0

100_6112_zpsx2vhxbrj.jpg

Orange & Yellow 5/0

100_6109_zps5zaqzc9c.jpg

White 3/0

100_6110_zps8wi1wjqw.jpg

Also have some Capt. Action spoons. Stainless, and sort of a cross between a Huntington Drone & the Accetta in shape.

100_6117_zpsxwunkb6t.jpg

100_6119_zpsnm28adlo.jpg

100_6118_zpsvodczklq.jpg

They were made in various sizes too.

100_6122_zpsunnobabj.jpg

100_6123_zpsuxz8n3da.jpg

100_6121_zpss58xfk1n.jpg

100_6120_zpstdi2blvo.jpg

100_6116_zpsd3xwekjb.jpg

100_6115_zpskjxjosp0.jpg

100_6125_zpstd04q2nh.jpg

The top one is a Bomber, the other is one I had made. The treble on the Bomber is replacement I had dressed, better than the original Mustad

100_6127_zpslvaoogxz.jpg

Edited by tidewaterfly

Tidewaterfly,

Man o man, I am LOVING those tins!

When I saw the first few pics that you'd posted I thought, "Gee, wonder how long those feathered tails last?"

Then I saw the group pics and thought, "Aha, some of them appear to have had their feathers trimmed!"

:-)

I'm still contemplating how to cast my size 17. I'll try using it with a little weight on my line above the tin, but I fear that that approach will ruin the flutter action.

Thinking back to my days as an ardent FW fly fishing guy (TBT, ardent doesn't even come *close* to describing my then-passion. Terms like "trout-tramp" and "Salmon ****" come pretty close, though.) and I recall that we used to use some little strips of lead to wrap either:

1. Around some huge fly (think size 4 and 2 Zonkers, Wooly Buggers and Matukas) to get them deep enough in the big rivers of N New England, or

2 wrap it around the butt end of our leaders.

Yep made casting a whole new nightmare, but it worked.

They were shaped like matchsticks and literally came in what looked just like a book of matches. I forget the product name. Another brand of lead "ribbon" was "LarvaLace", which was offered in small spools that looked kind of like a tippet spool with a cover. Unfortunately, I don't have any of either one left.

i was thinking that I might be able to wrap a bit of this stuff (or even lead wire) around the hook shank that's just below the screw. Granted, the extra weight would still not be centered on the tin body, but it might be close enough to keep some of the flutter, but with a bit faster sink rate and a bit better castability.

Or, I wonder if i could fit a 2x or 3x hook into that tin?

Thoughts?

Maybe you could rig it Carolina style using an in line weight? Closest thing to using a sink tip line.

Had quite a day on the metal yesterday...These and many more like them, plus several other grouper species (all,safely release...not grouper season yet), a bunch of mahi both on jigs and poppers, blackfin tuna, a lunatic acrobatic wahoo the jumped about 5' in the air when it struck a popper, a very big and very angry bull shark, and some other odds and ends...as well as some UFOs that pinned me to the gunwale with the drag locked down on a maxel OSL11 (over 30lbs, yes, I'm serious) before becoming unbuttoned or chafing through 100lb flouro leader.

The big one puked a half digested 5lb tilefish as she came over the rail.The jig of the day was an 11", 200g turkey slider. It was the single most punishing day of jigging I've ever had. The bite wasn't as consistent as past spring trips, but the average fish was well over 40lbs, and many more twice that size. I couldn't even hoist the big girl up, hence the awful picture!

post-29593-0-55065900-1461727110.jpeg

post-29593-0-68489400-1461727128_thumb.jpg

post-29593-0-26035000-1461727143_thumb.jpg

They were shaped like matchsticks and literally came in what looked just like a book of matches. I forget the product name.

"Twist on's" perhaps? 

post-24433-0-70970300-1461771590_thumb.jpg

Point Jude Butterfish Bonanza !!!

From Left to Right:

2.5 oz. Butter

2 oz. Nickel Plated Butter

2 oz. Gold Plated Butter

1.5 oz. Butter

Edited by yogiiiboy

Cary, yes, that's the Tri-Fin Whip-Tail.  Seeing that package made me nostalgic ... wonderful North Shore weakfish lure.

ahhhhh! That's the one I was thinking about originally when you first asked the question. Cool!