optimist

Ospreys are back !

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

been watching 100 acre cove (Barrington) to and from work and ive yet to see them...anywhere in the east bay, I should say....as work takes me to Newport a few times a week.

would gulls dive after herring in open water, if not being attacked by fish from below? During a  blitz i can see but curious if folks have seen this? Osprey and Cormorants i know will eat them at any point.

17 hours ago, Kooky said:

would gulls dive after herring in open water, if not being attacked by fish from below? During a  blitz i can see but curious if folks have seen this? Osprey and Cormorants i know will eat them at any point.

I seen those brown quack quack  ducks dive down and get crabs . Eat the eggs of them and then a Seagull dives down and gets the crab . Poor crab just minding its own business . This went on for awhile one fall at the Hill . Definitely a WTF moment 

OK boys, start cleanin' the reels and get ready to fish !    Ospreys are back !  Saw birds on the nest in 3 locations around the Salt ponds today.  Not much left of the old nests, so they have some work to do.

I have to say, I haven't seen osprey in the nest since that first report, but I have seen two together flying twice, over Rt. 1 or N onto the pond.  The nest looks pretty beat up...I have a feeling they're nesting south of the salt pond nest, or up in/towards the water tower?

It's on my commute, so...

Finally saw birds on the nest off 95 by rt 4 split.  They are usually a later pair to arrive, maybe the herring start showing in force next.