BrianBM

Recommend Jigs for slow-pitch jigging

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I said the PE knot, that's  teh one tha tI was talking about. There' so much crap I got teh letters mixed up. Teh guy was insisting it was a better knot than a uni, which it's  great with no bump. BUt yeah I tied 3 knots to his one. BUt that knot is so  much cuter, you get bonus points for using that with slow pitch jigs and rods.

The fg knot really isn't that complicated or hard to tie with cold hands. I can still tie a uni to uni a lot faster. But when I'm hung up with an fg my line never breaks at the knot and almost always breaks at the snagged point. Which means a 20ft Shock leader usually last me a lot longer with an fg instead of a uni to uni which I have broken at the knot countless times.

OK, I'll bite.  When you get hung and have to break off, what happens?  Or do you put a "weakening" knot down by your terminal tackle?

OK, I'll bite.  When you get hung and have to break off, what happens?  Or do you put a "weakening" knot down by your terminal tackle?

When using a Wind-on Leader I use a Palomar Knot at the terminal end and that is what breaks, unless (if I am using one) my "snap" fails, rare, but it has happened. Most of the time my leaders are the rated breaking strength of the braid or greater. Most all companies that produce braid under rate the breaking strength (the breaking strength is greater than what is on the package) to compensate for the knot strength that most anglers tie. I have been use a bimini at the end of my braid for decades and have not had one fail yet. As strong as the Palomar knot is, that is my weak point...

Because it takes less than 30 seconds to tie a uni. Personally, I never have the line break at the knot. Use a lighter mono top shot than the braid.

I just reach into a pocket and loop on a new one, faster still and far easier when there is a rocking boat and hot bite, to get back down to...

Damned if i know.  A couple wraps around a wood board and pull hard.  I'll just keep tying uni knots.  They work fine for most bottom fishing.