Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Critical Bill

Best Fish on Worst Cast

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My buddy was smoking a cig. and cast some bait over his sholder. We were on some structure 20 ft of water using squid. Landed a 31 inch red drum on 12 lbs test.

While jigging for bluegills with my nephew, I was using an artificial meal worm about as big as half a live meal worm. A 6 pound LM bass inhaled it and the tiny hook stuck right in its upper jaw.

What a fight on little cane pole! within a minute we pulled it up on the bank, showed him how to lip it, and released it.

Two years ago, while shark fishing, I instructed my nephews to jig for blues. The sharks were not biting and it was slow. The blues responded one after another. Then I look over and my nephew's Penn slammer was lapped over! A large blue shark rolled up the line and eventually broke off!

I had just got a 8 foot el cheapo pinicale "lexus" rod to try using artificial lures since I had been fishing bait from the surf until two years ago.. so I got a bag of wild eyes storm shads and I was on a jetty (this was before I found this site and learned allot about striper fishing) so I was seeing a few fish jump here and there, not knowing it was bass blitzing bunker, I threw a few half assed cast with nothing so I reeled in so I was only a few feet off the jetty and I was just dragging the shad back and forth to see the action and two bass came swooping up and one sucked up my lure and took off peeling line off the reel, so I fought it and brought it in, being completely un prepared I very carefully climbed down on the slimy rocks almost fell in two or three times but managed to lip it. i didnt have a scale or tape measure but it was about 24 - 26 inchs, just alittle smaller then the biggest bass i had caught on clams.

that was when I really got hooked on stripper fishing. I had caught them before on clams in the surf but that was nothing compared to getting them on artificial bait and landing a fish on a jetty. now all of my free time and money is going into getting gear and fishing.. gosh darn I hate being addicted to something that controls your life, its like crack but not as bad for your health.

Lunker,

1st thing to buy is korkers... gotta be carefull..

are those the things you put on over shoes/boots/waders with the metal spikes for grip on the rocks?

if so then yeah i still havent gotten them and really need them, i have a pair of nikes ive been rockin becasue the soles are some how really really grippy but there getting worn out and ive gotten pretty close to busting my self up recently.. they are my next investment along with a telescopic gaff or net..

Lunker,

Lunker,

Do not go on those concrete things at the Manasquan Jetty with Korkers on. Been there, done that and slid right off. redface.gif Sneakers work best on smooth dry surfaces and I'm not sure anything works on smooth slimy surfaces. Had to take the Korkers off to climb up from where I landed. Not that you ever fish the Manasquan Jetty. wink.gif

Korkers are for rocks only.

screw the gaff, if you have korkers, you can scale down those rocks like a builly goat and grab the fish easily.

I seriously would not fish the Jetty again until you have korkers onyour feet... its that serious... Ive heard to many stories of guys getting hurt or worse on jetties, korkers make REAL sense...

Bc

This is one got away but... About 7 or 8 years ago we fished a particular point on one of the Elizabeth Island out of a boat. We would drift this spot and get tormented by the 20# plus bass that would follow our flies just to slowly turn away at the boat. One morning we were joined by another boat who was drifting through the same spot live lining bunker. Rather than getting in each others way we decided we would find a spot to beach the boat and fish from the shore.

I hiked down the boulder beach, stripped out some line and started to make my first cast. Well part of the line had blown out of my stripping basket and got tangled in the rocks and seaweed that was piled up on the shore. The line in the basket turned into a tangled mess and my 10" fly landed right in the water at the tip of my rod at the most 2 or 3 feet from shore. mad.gif (I was standing on shore and hadn't waded out onto a rock.) My buddies started giving me a hard time. I took a deep breath,cursing under my breath and tucked the rod under my arm to start undoing the mess.

After a few minutes of messing with my line there was a splash at my feet that sounds like someone dropped a boulder in the water. eek.gif I get a face full of water and look up to see the guys in the other boat drifting by about 75 feet from me. They are cheering and I'm think those a$$holes just lobbed a big old bunker at my feet. Just at that moment the line started flying out of my basket and an bass that I guessing was at least 30lbs started splashing around on the surface in front of me. Of course there was one last knot in my basket and it couldn't clear the guides. I made one attempt to pull it free before my tippet popped. rolleyes.gif

I must have been dabbling the 10" bunker fly on the surface of the water no more that 2 or 3 feet from shore when that fish hit. One of my buddies was only a few feet from me when it happened and watched the whole thing unfold. He almost fell in laughing at me. I just walked back to the boat and rummaged a beer from the bottom of the cooler.

I've never doubted how close to shore you can find fish since. wink.gif

Lunker,

Lunker,

Do not go on those concrete things at the Manasquan Jetty with Korkers on. Been there, done that and slid right off. redface.gif Sneakers work best on smooth dry surfaces and I'm not sure anything works on smooth slimy surfaces. Had to take the Korkers off to climb up from where I landed. Not that you ever fish the Manasquan Jetty. wink.gif

Korkers are for rocks only.

your lucky to have been able to climb back up!

those are some gnarly concrete things i would imagine if i did fish there ever but if i did i would have been wearing sneakers and staying on the dry parts. i might have seen a guy over there running around those things like a monkey yesterday, it would make me nervous just watching him if i was there.

but thats enough of derailing this thread and almost burning our spots that we may or may not go to elgedly that is of course if they even do exist..??? one will never know

my buddy's father never fished before in his life, despite having a vacation home on a private lake full of largemouth bass, perch, crappie and pickerel. he wondered why we spent so much time fishing and figured he would give it a shot, right from the dock rather than taking the boat out. his first cast went about 9 ft total and landed at the 8 o clock position if he was casting for 12. that cast resulted in a 6 or 7lb. + lmb. he put the rod down and said fishing was boring and he has never fished again to my knowledge. cwm13.gif

Back in the 70's my pop would take me and my brothers Striper fishing. One trip during the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade, I decided it was time I became a more independent fisherboy. I insisted I rig my own rod and when it came time I would cast it myself.

I could cast during the day when fishing for Porgies without a problem but at night when fishing with a heavier weight and 3' of line between a float I was more than intimidated.

I finally got up the nerve to try and cast the rig, threaded a nice juicy Bloodworm on and with the coaching of my dad gave it hell.

The cast went higher than it did far and more left than Ted Kennedy, probably less than 20' from the jetty. My dad and I decided to leave it where it landed seeing as it was my first cast.

About 20 min later the Mitchel's drag was singing and a while after that I landed my first large Striper. We only had a scale that went to 35lbs and this fish buried it and then some. I call it a forty but my brothers say it was much larger.

To this day it is my largest Striper yet, I remember the sights, sounds and feelings of that night like it was yesterday. I also remember my shock when my brother hit the water with the flashlight and we first saw how big the head was.

I wish I could find the pictures so could I could get some professional guesstimates on the weight.

D

Two years ago around this time of year, I was working a bass charter. We were snagging bunker and livelining them. There were only two guys on the trip so I grabbed a rod, snagged a bunker and let him swim.

Not five minutes later, I get bit. I set up on the fish, and here's the bad part, I hand the rod over to one of the customers. After he fights it for a half an hour, the fish comes up along side the boat, and my jaw drops. It weighed 40 pounds mad.gif

On the way back in, he asked me, "Is that good?" rolleyes.gif