pennfishing82

Done with Shimano.

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Since I first started fishing about 25 years ago, I used nothing but shimano. They made the best reels back in the 90s up to around 2010. Now shimano is just using more and more plastic parts and raising their prices everytime a new model comes out. I used to like the shimano sahara, symetre, and saros spinning reels years ago. Those reels used to have aluminum frames. Now they redesign those same reels with graphite frames and don't even lower the price??? So nowadays, if you want and aluminum frame spinning reel from shimano, you will have to spend at least 200 dollars on a stradic. I just bought 2 daiwa spinning reels. both have aluminum frames, and cost only 60 dollars each. And Penn even offers aluminum spinning reels for under 100 dollars. Shimano is nothing more than a bunch of greedy corporate thugs. They come out with a new model every 3 years and raise the price another 30 dollars. And the new shimano reels aren't even that great anymore. The new stella SWB stinks. Cannot hold a candle to the new daiwa saltiga spinning reel. And the new Calcutta D reels are horrible. 340 dollars for a baitcaster with plastic parts??? From here on in, it's Penn and Daiwa reels for me. Both solid reels at fair prices. Shimano will never get another penny out of me.

Are you unhappy because you tried them and they failed, or just because of the part types they use?

A lot of the newer alloys, even if not 100% metal, have similar characteristics of strength and durability.

Are you unhappy because you tried them and they failed, or just because of the part types they use?

A lot of the newer alloys, even if not 100% metal, have similar characteristics of strength and durability.

Sounds like he's mad about pricing and parts. Nobody is making you buy Shimano stuff, if you don't like it don't buy it simple as that.

Or, with a name "Pennfishing82" and his third post slamming Shimano maybe he has other motives. Welcome to the forums.  Shimano is not perfect but I have used them for years with few problems unless I either wore them our or caused the issue.  Lots of good reel and gear makers out there.  Shimano is one of them.

I'll take your inferior to the Saltiga Stellas off your hands if you want....but i won't like it

Imo Shimano uses carbon composite materials that are pretty much cutting edge as far as strength compared to alloys and weight savings. I lighter reel does feel good when fishing for long periods. But thats a choice that you make. 

And the new Calcutta D reels are horrible. 340 dollars for a baitcaster with plastic parts??? From here on in, it's Penn and Daiwa reels for me. Both solid reels at fair prices. Shimano will never get another penny out of me.

I have twin 400 D's, going into 4th season. All original parts except drag worn out on both from fish abuse. Plastic star drag knob, plastic level wind coating, plastic brake tabs, plastic brake tab holder, plastic thumb bar coating on the outside. I agree, the equivalent TE in price, did have more metal parts. But nothing has worn out yet or broke after heavy use.

Here's a picture of the internals of the bridge assembly of the D series top and TE bottom. Yes, more plastic on the D for the plastic plate because it's a different design compared to the TE where the frame held the bridge assembly.

My conclusions are this. It sucks that the D did not have brake access like the older TE but that's the way it goes, I'm use to it now. As far as durability goes, there's been no problems. I still have TE's from 13 years ago still kicking and with most original parts.  Revisit this thread in another 3 or 5 seasons and see where we are at then. Lets hope Shimano keeps the parts going on these durable baitcasters.

post-12713-0-41409600-1458489590.jpg

post-12713-0-56919700-1458489606.jpg

I don't understand being critical of anything when discussing a low end entry level product. The mid priced reels in Shimano's line are as good if not better than anything comparable on the market. 

Edited by Charleston

Or, with a name "Pennfishing82" and his third post slamming Shimano maybe he has other motives. Welcome to the forums.  Shimano is not perfect but I have used them for years with few problems unless I either wore them our or caused the issue.  Lots of good reel and gear makers out there.  Shimano is one of them.

Umm, or maybe he fished Shimano for 25 years like he said and noticed the entry level reels became more inferior and the prices increased and didn't like it (after all he only joined like a month ago so don't jump to conclusion). Something I have also noticed but is not limited to shimano. Manufacturers claiming improvements (that many times you really get) and raising prices but making sacrifices at other areas (sometimes critical areas) of the reel.

A trend we see in things we use every day.