abu 6500C-3 pros / cons

Rate this topic

TonyG

I think it's the best reel for the money out there, bar none. For 75 bucks you get a reel that can cast extremely well and is quite durable. I've had two 6500's for 7 years and still use them. I clean them several times a year and they perform great. My biggest beef with them is that I like power handls instead of the double-paddle handle and the drag is wimpy, one of Abu Garcia's only weak points.

The BG and Mag Elites and even the Sports Rocket and ProShop are better reels, primarily with thicker sideplates, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 6500c3 for relatively light work. It wouldn't be my choice for 8 and bait. But for three or four ounces, it's just fine.

At least that's my opion. I'm spoiled and I usually go with more high-end gear these days. As a "first" casting reel, the 6500 is hard to beat.

Tony,

I'm another big fan of Abu, especially on the price/peformance scale. They offer good performance at an attractive price. You might check with board sponsor Steve Barratt (great guy to deal with) for very good prices of Abu reels. I believe the prices listed on his site include shipping, at least they used to. He also has good info on parts and maintenance. If you're in a tremendous hurry, like need the reel within a couple days, you might pursue other options. Mark

Tony, go for it. For the price you can't do much better. One of the biggest problems though is that they corrode from the inside out. Do as I do with every new reel I get, open it up and make sure it's properly lubricated, coat the insides of the sideplates with some kind of light grease and with some TLC it's a good buy. They cast very good but the drags are a bit lacking but IMO theirs are probably better than the Mags. They can and do handle the Large, my best with the 6501 is 28lbs. Good Luck. Prospector

I agree with Saltheart.

I have a 6500c4 and love it. The only problem i have experianced is the little paw that rides the channel for the level wind wore out and had to be replaced. BIG bucks from abu, think it was something like 95 cents so i got a few for spares.

BTW, abu's speedy service was great also.

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

http://communities.msn.com/WaltsWorldofPics

i certainly do thank you all for the comebacks.

now i must exercise the noggin sifting through all this advice.

all's i wants to do is retire my 2, 6000's that are between 30 - 40 years old and look like they just came out of their leather case for the first time.

thanks, for the help.

tony

[This message has been edited by TonyG (edited 01-26-2001).]

TonyG
Fish when you can -

Hi Tony! Sorry to be slow jumping in on this one. Figured you be halfway back to Florida by now wink.gif The 6500C3 is my second oldest Abu, and still one of my favorites, It's the basic M-1 version of the reel and I think you'll be quite happy with it; mine is yet to let me down and it's wearing well.

You sure rang a bell with that reference to 6000's coming in the nifty little leather case. I still fish one of those, purchased in '72, and it still looks and performs beautifully. While I dislike the latest Abu high speed reels, I did get an Abu retro-fit speedup kit for my 6000 years ago... upped the old girl from it's original 3.3 : 1 to a blazing fast 4.7 : 1 biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-27-2001).]

bill, good to hear from you. coupled the 6000's to a 6'-9" fast taper conventional from garcia.

my fishing partner and i surely brought to net a hugh number of fluke and winter flounders with those rigs. she got me into catch and release before we tied the knot. still do c&r.

maybe i should look at that 'abu retro-fit speedup kit.' make em feel like a different reel. like - reborn again!

advise where these things can be obtained?

tony

TonyG
Fish when you can -

Tony, the kits I bought are so old, they are labeled Abu Garcia, so we can forget that source. I imagine the current main gear and pinnion might be compatible with the really old 6000's, but I'm not sure. I think there was a drag redesign at some early point, and a new set of drag washers may be needed as well, if not another part ot two.

I'll flag this thread to Steve Barratt's attention for some real expert advice.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-29-2001).]