cnrangler

New to freshwater. (baitcast or spinning)

51 posts in this topic

I want to get into some freshwater fishing this spring. I'm a saltwater guy and have been for years, but this year want to broaden my horizons and get into some largemouth bass fishing. I'm a plugging guy so I will be throwing jigs, crankbaits, worms, and frogs. I use all spinning reels for saltwater but I was wondering g if I should use the same for freshwater or should I get a baitcasting reel. I see more people using these just wondering why. Also maybe a rod reccomendation too. Thanks!!!!

Easiest thing is to fish what you know.  Get a small spinning reel and a 7' medium-medium heavy freshwater spinning rod and go catch fish.

I want to get into some freshwater fishing this spring. I'm a saltwater guy and have been for years, but this year want to broaden my horizons and get into some largemouth bass fishing. I'm a plugging guy so I will be throwing jigs, crankbaits, worms, and frogs. I use all spinning reels for saltwater but I was wondering g if I should use the same for freshwater or should I get a baitcasting reel. I see more people using these just wondering why. Also maybe a rod reccomendation too. Thanks!!!!

You will love a baitcaster. A curado 200 7:1 and any 6'- 7' med heavy fast action tip 1/4 to 1 1/4 oz works for  me right now for hold over striped bass in the fresh. I can toss frogs, crankbaits, jigs, weightless jerk baits, what ever. Occasionally I will toss senkos but prefer a lighter set up for that duty. If you plan on tossing less than a 1/2oz I would get something else.

Spinning 2500-3000 size matched w a 7' med action rod.  Great for senkos, small cranks, pop-r's, soft jerk baits.  You can also worm and jig fish w it.  

People use a baitcaster for 2 reasons.  The first is to throw heavy mono.  That reason is mostly no longer valid since superline can take the place of heavy line on a spinning real.  The 2nd reason is to throw baits that spin like spinnerbaits, big cranks, and buzz baits which is still valid.  For everything else it's personal choice.

The way I look at it, why not start fishing first - keep your baits in the water, get on the fish, and worry about fooling around w baitcasters later.  

I would go with what you know.  I fly fish now 99% of the time, but I spent  45 years using spinning gear and my one attempt at buying and using a bait caster didn't work out well.  Unless you're planning to fish heavy weeds or cover.   The 7 foot medium action rod suggested is a good choice.  The spinning rods that I've built for myself are from 6 to 7 feet.  Pair it with a reel that will hold 10 to 14 lb fluorocarbon or mono.  Try and pick up one that comes with two spools that way you can spool the second one with braid. 

Imo "baitcasters" are for the show offs when fishing for LMB and other larger species  :worms: ...... :laugh:  :laugh:

;lsfa';klfjas';klf' as;kljas';jf'asjf  ajsf'a;sjf';ajfdskgj;lfkjgkgkljasd;fgkjaklkajsfklgklhjasdf;lkga;lhjsdfg;lkjhasdgjlhsjfhaskjhgvk;ajhg;lkjas;dlkvc;alkn;clksja;lfa

that said....

:)

Pick up a tatula or a curado 100 spool up with some 30lb braid  

The new daiwa baitcasting rods as well as the zodias rods are awesome performers for the money.

I had a great conversation today with one of the reps today.  And how in the north east......spinning reels flat out dominate the market.  He's seen it for 20 years...and i've seen it for 10.  Go into any shop and you'll see all the latest spinners......and when you look at the dimly lit cave that houses the baitcasters.....in some cases it's like a trip down memory lane.....

There are many things that todays baitcasters flat out do much better...and are much more efficient at doing over egg beaters....and they do so at 3-5 ounces lighter than their spinning equivalent.

The only thing spinners do better with are ultra light presentations under 1/8 ounce......tight quarters casting......and long leader presentations...ie floats or bottom bouncer rigs with long leaders.

The key is setting up the reel properly....getting the timing down.....and educating your thumb.

If you're going to get a baitcaster you are gonna have to take the time to learn how to use it. If not you'll quit bass fishing within 1 fishing trip. Go with a spinning setup if you are just getting started and as you want to level up your bass fishing look into a baitcaster. I recommend Lews I swear by their reels.

When I did  use a baitcaster occasionally. It was casted from a kayak and boat. So distance wasnt such a concern. But I did enjoy the no line twist with the baitcaster. But the birdnesting when occurred was a major PITA :laugh:  

Edited by vce12342000

When I did  use a baitcaster occasionally. It was casted from a kayak and boat. So distance wasnt such a concern. But I did enjoy the no line twist with the baitcaster. But the birdnesting when occurred was a major PITA :laugh:  

One of these days I'll let you throw a few of my setups.....you're jaw will drop.....then you'll ask....why does your reel sound like a bubble jet printer  :)

One of these days I'll let you throw a few of my setups.....you're jaw will drop.....then you'll ask....why does your reel sound like a bubble jet printer   :)

To be truthful. My last experience with a baitcaster was about 10 years ago. I know technology has come along way. But Im just stuck on the birdnesting still :laugh:  :laugh:

If you are using a baitcaster correctly, you are casting with you non-dominant hand and retrieving with your dominant... it is the opposite of spinning tackle and feels really strange if you have always used spinners.  

Some guys never get it, some guys cast and then move the rod to their other hand to start their retrieve (which eliminates the primary advantages of a baitcaster in fresh water applications - precise bait placement and the ability to immediately engage the drag when the bait hits the surface), and then some guys (right handers) buy left handed reels which also doesn't work out all that well.

Plus baitcasters need to be tuned for each bait your throw.  If you are going from a weightless 8" plastic worm, to a 1/4 oz popper, to a 3/4 oz jig to a 1/2 spinnerbait, you need to set up the reel each time you change baits.  There is a reason that serious bass guys have 7 different rods on the deck... those rods/reels are all tuned for a bait that is going to be used on that set-up all day.  For the guy that is going to a pond with 1 rod, a baitcaster can be a headache.