Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoBow

Another new front page!!!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Yes, good to see the results Yim, but your last paragraph needs some correcting.

"And one thing I wish some areas of the recreational fishing industry would consider, at least in regards to the striped bass, is that two thirds of the anglers that responded would fish more frequently if there were more big fish in the population. Only 3% would fish more frequently if they could kill more while 65% would fish more frequently if there were more big fish"

I read the results of that poll as ONE third would fish more frequently not 2/3's

just pointing it out for you smile.gif

Thanks Bruce icon14.gif See what happens when yah do this stuff late at night wink.gif

It's still amazing - 3% would fish more if they could kill more fish, 2% would fish more if the size limit were lower but 35% would fish more if there were more big fish in the population.

TimS

Tim also note the base from which you drew respondents. Though the results are encouraging, but its like preaching to the choir. I think the party boat angler who gets his fish probably won't be reading SOL and responding to the polls. Also until we lose the trophy mentality of fishing many of the big girls will still die for the photo op.

I think the party boat angler who gets his fish probably won't be reading SOL and responding to the polls. Also until we lose the trophy mentality of fishing many of the big girls will still die for the photo op.

Interesting. I know loads of people here that fish on partyboats. Some of them only fish on partyboats. Looking through the list of respondents, I see that many of them did take the poll. What am I missing? How can you tell that partyboat anglers don't read SOL or respond to the polls? What percentage of partyboat anglers wouldn't respond and why? These are all things I'm unaware of smile.gif

The poll was strictly about striped bass - party boat striped bass fisherman are a very small minority compared to shore based and private boat striped bass fisherman. Minisqule even comes to mind smile.gif If we were talking about fluke or tog or seabass, then that's entirely different, the partyboat angler would be a large percentage of that group. That's just my opinion, if you have any real data regarding the suggestions you make about partyboat striped bass anglers not reading SOL or taking the poll, I'd love to read it smile.gif

TimS

Tim, where I fish on an average night (surf) there are 4-8 guys, most know of SOL. There are also 4-8 Party boats fishing in the same general vicinity. All I'm saying is the math tells you that more fish are taken on those boats then by the bunch of us. And yes they are fishing for bass. While I'm sure that some of them are members here and are outstanding conservationists a few might not be (members that is). My humble opinion. After all the title is Surf Talk. Tony

Tim, where I fish on an average night (surf) there are 4-8 guys, most know of SOL. There are also 4-8 Party boats fishing in the same general vicinity.

Tony, I didn't know there were 4-8 party boats fishing for stripers anywhere icon25.gif Much less every night or most nights redface.gif I guess it's my localness clouding my perception - around here there are zero party boats fishing for striped bass on the average day/night. There's a few uncrowded PBs in the Highlands that sail in the spring and fall, but over the course of the season, I don't think there's a whole lotta PB striper fishing going on. If things are very different in your area, I can certainly understand where yer coming from smile.gif

TimS

TimS- there have been an awful lot of party boats in the SJ area fishing the CM Rips for the past few years. Plus, a lot of "open boat" charters which I consider "party boats" just on a smaller scale. There ya go Ben- on your 5000th post day. icon14.gif

Walt - do these boats fish for striped bass all year long? icon25.gif Or is it a few weeks in the spring, few weeks in the fall kinda thing?

And if you know about these boats, why have you told all the people on 'em about StripersOnline? wink.gif

TimS

TimS- there have been an awful lot of party boats in the SJ area fishing the CM Rips for the past few years. Plus, a lot of "open boat" charters which I consider "party boats" just on a smaller scale. There ya go Ben- on your 5000th post day. icon14.gif

WooHoo cwm12.gif

Walt - do these boats fish for striped bass all year long? icon25.gif Or is it a few weeks in the spring, few weeks in the fall kinda thing?

TimS

TimS- It's more like a couple of months in the spring and a few months in the fall. The DB, CM Rips fishery for striped bass is huge and getting bigger!

Most do know about SOL, but you've probably thrown off half of them- only kidding! biggrin.gif

Jeez Ben, thanks for the WHOO HOO cwm12.gificon14.gif