Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fly By Nite

Harvey starting mets opener.

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I disagree with this.  DeGrom should be the guy on the mound especially since Harvey blew the last game.  CBS reporting TC may be going with Harvey first  because Degrom having a kid...i don't see how this matters since if Harvey gets the ball the first night then Degrom should start game 2...who knows when the kid will pop out..

From CBS:

Harvey seemed the logical choice, though some speculated manager Terry Collins would give the ball to Jacob deGrom. But with deGrom’s wife expected to give birth to the couple’s first child around the time of the opener, Collins’ decision was made easier, though it seems he had Harvey penciled in for the start all along.

Harveys the choice based on his longergevity(new word), his attitude from day one of give him the ball, he is high strung, his overall performance, and as I remember it last year he didn't Tommy Glavine it, he pitched well in the final. DeGrom has been an over achiever since he came up, great stuff but he seems more easy going than Harvey, not a bad thing but he doesn't have the Harvey nastiness working. 

Harvey is the right choice for Collins too, DeGrom could probably care less, if Collins chose DeGrom, Harveys' diaper would be wet for a month. Gotta treat these guys with kid gloves, not just based on their accomplishments. And the Mets have a few days off the first week of the season, there won't be a real rotation going until the middle of the month.

Opening Day starting is over rated, each starter if healthy and effective will get 31-33 starts. Harvey, DeGrom, Syndegard, Matz, and eventually Wheeler makes for a long season for their opponents. Get any hitting at all and the Mets gotta win 95. Gonna be a fun year to watch, these guys can pitch.

Sorry, I'm a Yankee fan but I've always watched the Mets (since 66') although I root against them winning, I like to see certain guys do well. This Mets team is very likable, can't think of any player I despise.  

Edited by Highlander1