Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walkin' Jack

GOOD NEWS (truck)/BAD NEWS (hands)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

First the good news. Picked up my truck earlier today and it looks like it did the day I drove it off the lot. Donny's in Deer Park did a really FINE job! Sure feels good to get back into my good ole Ranger! The big Dodge is a nice ride but I like my li'l Ranger better, don'tcha know!?! I have it all packed up and loaded and ready to head down to Port O'Connor in the AM. Now I'm looking forward to stringing a few spots and dots with Capt'n Kelly and my two bros-in-law. Believe me when I tell ya I need the salt and I need the pull and I really need the FISH. By now, every thing in my freezer is of the off shore variety with the exception of a couple of "mercy flounder" that a friend took pity on me and gave me. I have no pride ya know. I missed a lot of the action last flounder season and my friend caught me whining aout it and graced me with a few extras he just happen to have handy.

Well, that about covers the good news. Now for the not-so-good news. Had my appointment with the hand surgeon yesterday and as I expected. Both hands require surgery, it's that ole trigger finger thing again, now in the first two fingers of both hands. I feel a LOT better about this guy than I do the quack that did me in '01. He drew me out a detailed proceedure of what he is gonna do. A regular "chalk n talk" Also he will put me thorugh what he described as "vigorous" therapy post surgery. The other guy just made the cut and kicked me loose. Gave me the wrong post op instructions and didn't even do a thorough job, according to the new guy. That is why it came back in only 4 months. I have alot of confidence in this new guy and I expet that when all is said and done I'll be in good shape. Hopefully from now on.

I told him he wasn't touching me until AFTER the 28th cause I have a lot of fishing planned till then and he said that he is going on vacation around The 4th of July. He said he would fit me in between the 29th of June and the 3rd of July for the FIRST operation. I was unable to talk him into doing both hands at the same time. He will do the right hand first and, depending on my success with the therapy he will do the left hand 4 to 6 weeks later.

So...I'm benched till roughly some time in the middle of September. I hate missing all that fishing but I can't continue the way I am now and it's getting worse and worse every week. I'll continue fishing the surf and bays and pier until the first surgery. after that I'm on the side lines.

One thing that really grinds my gears is that I jsut got my rod to go with my Penn 6/0 reel and I won't be able to use it all summer!

Right now, although I'm can manage the inshore varieties I just can't deal with the husky fish offshore. Last time I went out with my main offshore buddy I was useless as a deck hand, unable to manage the anchor/tie up lines at all and after catching all those ajs, snapper, dolphin, etc, I was in extreme pain on the run in. I just have to live with this bad situation till about the middle of September and then I'm pullin' out all the stops...anything goes.

I can't say what impact it will have on my typing but I should be able to dink around on the board and in e-mails through out the ordeal, I just won't be able to write any 700 page novels during that time. biggrin.gif

Y'all wish me luck!

I'm feelin' ya Jack. My pictures just came back with a torn muscle and ligaments in my right(casting) elbow. Mis-diagnosed for three weeks. I'm out for I dunno how long. Summer is just two weeks away. Mebbe I'll make the fall run.

Signed,

Sling Ben uh huh

Both hands require surgery, it's that ole trigger finger thing again, now in the first two fingers of both hands.

If I may ask, are your fingers folded over? The only reason I ask is that my father is still recovering from his surgeries, tho he is back to work and getting his strength back. Make sure you talk to your dr. about opening up the arteries and veins to make sure you get good blood flow. Dad's doc didn't and he lost the top 2 knuckle joints on his pinky to gangreen (sp?). This was his second round of operations to loosen tendons and remove scar tissue, the first was about 10 years ago and his fingers still folded over again.

Ben: sorry to hear that man, hope all goes well!

Good Luck guys! icon14.gificon14.gif

[ 06-11-2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Beezer ]

Gentlemen, good luck to you both. I'd be sorry to lose either of you as a SOLster. I wonder if ViaVoce

or Dragon Dictate or some other voice/typing program would help? Has anyone here had occasion to use either one?

No sweat for me Brian, I just lowered my chair a tad and moved the keyboard to the lower level....Sling level that is biggrin.gif

Though you may be wishin I hadn't by summers end cwm13.gif

Thanks for the kind thoughts, fellers. Beezer, yer scarin' me dude! Folded over? cwm31.gif I had a trigger finger operated on a couple of years ago and it is back one of the ones to be done now, but I don't know about any folding over. Anyway, the doc has it all covered and after his little "chalk n talk" I feel real good about what he plans to do. The guy that did your dad sounds like the mutt that did me the first time. I feel a lot better about the one I got now.

Ben, We need to form a sick, lame, and lazy club. biggrin.gif We could get a couple of cute little topless waitresses to pour our drinks and we could sit around and talk about fishin'. lg_smile.gif First round's on me!

I hope ya get better real soon, Ben and y'all don't need to worry none about me postin' this summer. I once saw a thing on educational TV about a guy that had no arms, he sad on a special chair and shaved holding the razor in his TOES. He painted using a brush he held in his teeth. If I have to hold a #2 Eagle in my teeth and type with the eraser end...so be it. You ain't getting rid of me that easy! moon.gif

Walkin' Jack

It's a condition that mostly afflicts people of Irish descent, though anyone can have it. A knot will form around the tendon(s) in the palm and tighten up, "folding over" the fingers to a non-usable position. I had heard the term "trigger finger" before in its description, but the only recourse here in the States is surgery, going in and cutting the knot and stretching the tendons back to normal. In Ireland there is a solution that's injected into the palm that will dissolve the knot, but it hasn't been OK'd by the FDA here. Dad's first thought after all the surgeries and finger-ectomy was "No pinky rings for Christmas." icon14.gif

Jack, how bout the Not so old, but slightly broken down Texans Fishing and Social Club?

This way, ifun we aint fishin', we can smoke ceegars and lie about it. And still call it a club meeting smile.gif

I'm a new guy to this site. Sorry to hear about the hand surgeries. I know I also will be going thaT DIRECTION SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE. rIGHT NOW I DO THE EXERCISES AND SLEEPING SPLINTS AND THAT JUNK. BUT, NOTICED YOU MENTIONED A ROD TO GO WITH YOUR 6/0.

DON'T QUITE KNOW WHAT you will be fishing for with the 6/0, but you might want to check out an electric drive to hookup to the 6/0. You may be able to get some fishing in that you normally would not until both hands are healed. That way you won't miss it all. Just a suggestion.

Good luck