Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Reel attachment on rod with no seat???

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have an old hand made 9' spinning rod that I like to use. It has a wrapped cork butt with no manufactured seat for the reel attachment. I am using electrical tape to mount the reel as that is what I remember the old bucks using when I was a kid and they used these rods. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

You can also use a Fuji tape on metal reel seat. This will allow you to remove the reel and do maintenance without all of the untaping and taping.

I purchased a rod here last year in an auction that had a tape on reel seat. I didn't like the feel of it. I had a reel seat added to it. Get a rod builder in your area to take a look at it.

A bunch of my surf rods have no seat, you just use tape. I guess it is lighter and maybe more sensitive but it's a pain to have to take the reel off. I think I'll get reel seats next time around.

electrical tape works just fine. Do the old figure eight and keep it straight. Much lighter and not as cold in the late Fall. You notice this is how most of the sharpies do it as well.

I prefer tape to the Fuji tape-on seats. No matter what kind you get, the hoods loosen up and you have to readjust them every few casts.

If you can find Tommy Tape, that works much better than electrical tape icon14.gif

Try Tommy Tape. No wiggle in the reel and no sticky goo.

The stuff is awesome. That being said, I let a friend put a fuji wrap on seat on the rod after much admonishment.

Tomaurand,

Why wasn't the center of the seat wrapped? Just a question. biggrin.gif

You could also get one of the Fuji skeleton reel seats like what 916steelhead has on his rod. The thing is awsome!

skeletonreelseat.jpg

Thanks.

Not sure, I didn't do the rod. As far as I could tell by looking at the set up, the center does not need to be wraped. I think it would interfere with the reel foot.

It was very stable and non movement what so ever. Not to mention light weight.

If I used spinning gear I would go that route.

ya might want to try 1 of these

coastal3.jpg

tried the tape on reel seats

trie d just taping on the reel....

they just never felt 'tight'

maybe it was the diawa 5500 on a 1509 rolleyes.gif

this took care if it

nice part is they are real easy do move on the rod to adjust the reel to end of butt distance ...

btw , mudhole ....

derf

A double layer of friction tape before you mount the reel then use electrical tape to mount the reel. The reason for the friction tape is that when you remove it, it will not take pieces of the cork tape with it.It also adds a double layer of cushion between the reel and the blank

Tommy tape also works, but I've found that it softens in the hot weather and will flex.

Just my $.02

Bernzy

Do as Bernzy says. All my rods for 40 years were like that. To determine where the reel goes put it where as you hold the rod/reel the butt reaches almost all the way into your armpit. Must add I don't know what Tommy tape is so it may be better than electrical tape.