Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfpirate

fishing reports

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Who do you trust for your fishing reports

A.) A guy who works a real job and is a surf guide who post reports.

B.) A guy who (says) he works but fishes more than anyone should who posts reports.

C.) Second hand (at best) reports called in from tackle shops to a third party?

Let the games begin!

I'll check back when I get back from Rhode Island, where the beaches are paved with 30 pounders!

I dont read fishing reports anymore, never quite understood the concept.wink.gif

But if your fishing almost every day when things heat up...why do you need to read a fishing report??? Unless your the one writing them!

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

All sources of information are good. But first I need to read, to listen, to think and then I decide what it is the true fishing.

GMA

------------------

"The Goddesses will not subtract from the years allotted to the life of each man, those hours that he devoted to fishing".

www.elanzuelo.com

I'll have to agree with GMA on this one. I don't mind reading nor listening to reports but i take everything like a grain of salt. Unless it's a good friend of mine i won't believe it 100% because i know guys have a habit of exaggerating. smile.gif

I certainly doubt tackle shop reports. You can bet if I catch fish the absolute last place I'd mention it is at a tackle shop! That's got to be almost as bad as posting it on the internet. smile.gifsmile.gif Furthermore it sure isn't in their best interest to report consistantly poor fishing conditions.

Steve

Thats one thing about the B&T shops, ya just cant trust um. Anything to make a sale!

I shop at two B&T shops, in the fall they ask me how the fishing is...they know how much time i spend down at the jetty and if the fish are biting i know. Just recently i wised up and say its been slow!wink.gif

I would hate to make the 2 mile walk with a hundred other fishermen, just aint my style...SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

[This message has been edited by Striperfever (edited 08-29-2001).]

I admit I used to chase the fish via reports until I realized, true or not, by the time a report is published, it's old news.

I also realized that I wanted to catch fish rather than go fishing. Fishing is alot more enjoyable smile.gif

Now a report is just a read, nothing more.

roughseas

Read them all for info purpose only.

I gave up chasing after them , you get tired after awhile of showing up at the "hot spot" on the right tide and finding it ....... well , deserted.

" Now if this place was hot there will be guys shoulder to ..."

You get my point.

But your post asked about "trusting" the reports.

I would have to go with A (a guide with a real job)

------------------

Basschaser

While there is nothing wrong with listening to a report, you should work at a routine of your own, its the only one that will be 100% accurate, IN GENERAL a shops report, for most parts is garbage in garbage out, a guide could be a good report, but that was yesterday at best. Make a log, pay attention to everything, and make note of such, THIS WILL pay off.

Ml

I listen to anything that is potential info, but I don't fish based on a report. It's kinda like playing yesterday's winning lotto numbers. I think it's important to consider where the report comes from. Just remember,

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see

....unless you really trust the source. It doesn't take long to figure out who is the shameless self-promoter, the blatent BS artist or the blabber mouth who likes "stories".

It's when you don't hear much that things are going on.

(D) A guy who (says) he works but fishes more than anyone should... who DOES NOT post reports. Of course, the only information we trust is the kind that we get after this subject has been injected with a nice truth-inducing dose of sodium pentothal and maybe a beer or saki or two.

-FWW

I agree with Mike Lang's sentiments. Use a log to determine patterns that emerge throughtout the season (i.e based on prevailing winds, typical bait patterns, water temps, etc...) and THEN....

Use those reports that you're hearing to help determine what patterns are becoming dominant or fading.

Even then you have to be careful...a couple years ago, I read a report from a "so-called pro" and fishing guide who said the predominant bait on the beach was baby spearing. However, this was late October and the bait was actually bay anchovies on the beach...they may look similar, but there certainly aren't too many spearing spawns going on around labor day. May sound like nitpicking, but I find a huge difference in the way fish go after these baits.

If a report is given granted your too late for that occurrance. But, the one thing I note about a report is the TIDE. Often times the fish return on the same tide the next day. I can only relate this to my experiences during FALL fishing at the Jersey shore.

Id rather hear about what's in the water (besides the fish im targeting), then hear about how good the fishing was. By this I mean, a great report would be "Peanuts have made it into Cold Spring HArbour" if I hear that, I know what to do. Rather than saying "old john smith and his grandson had 13 stripahs at 32A this morning, the fishing is red hot."

Once you find the bait, and have a decent idea for how patterns work, reports can help, if they are the right kind...

BC