Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

Is their a method for matching reel/rod?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

How does one match the proper rod with a certain reel. I mean I always figured it was a preference thing, but do some rod/reels work better together?

I kind of have a formula I use in my head to match stuff up. Hard to explain. But for spinning setups, your inner spool diameter should (closely) match the diameter of the lowest guide on the rod. I tend to follow that pretty closely.

I am new at surffishing and the equipment used for it,but here is the way I match a rod and reel.

I am matching a reel to a 9ft Lami Surf King spin rod. What I did was figure the rods capabilities of lure weight 5/8 oz. to 2oz. I then figured the line to be used from 10lb to 17lb. I will use 10 to 14 lb line on the outfit.I then checke all the different reels I know of for line capacity and weight of reel. I found the Tica SA4000 to be the best reel by having the most line cap. per oz of weight. That is how I do it and its just something I figured out on my own. I am sure the people on this board will be able to give you some better advice as how to do it. I should have asked this question myself.

My next match is to match a Tica Taurus 5000 to a rod. It looks like the Tica UEHA 11 ft is winning.

If you tell what you want to match the members here will know if it works or not. John

Interesting formulas' that you guys have come up with. I thought it was as easy as: reel handles 12-25lb. fish, rod handles 12-25lb fish so therefore it's a match! Then I would get into how much feeling do I want in the rod. Light, heavy, med-heavy, med-light.

reel handles 12-25lb. fish, rod handles 12-25lb fish

12-25# on the rod and reel is the pound test line recomended not the pound fish you can expect them to handle.

I figure out what length rod I want. Then I think about what I'm going to do with the rod, jigging or plugging and how much weight I'll be throwing with the rod. Then knowing that I'm using braided line I look at reels and if they can handle braid. I then match the reel to the rod buy seating the reel on the rod and then laying two or three fingers under the rod just forward of the reel seat and see how well it balances. If the rod is tip heavy I try a heavier reel if it is butt heavy I try a lighter reel.

That seems to make the rod easier to handle when it's balanced well. Maybe it's just me.

I then match the reel to the rod buy seating the reel on the rod and then laying two or three fingers under the rod just forward of the reel seat and see how well it balances. If the rod is tip heavy I try a heavier reel if it is butt heavy I try a lighter reel.

That seems to make the rod easier to handle when it's balanced well.

I think that's the key plus matching your reel to the action of the rod, smaller/lighter reel for a thinner rod larger/heavier reel for a stiffer rod.

balance is the key. also u gotta get something that u can carry up n down the beach all nite long without getting tired. for instance, I have a 11' ron arra matched up with a 704-I tape the reel on in the most comfortable spot for me

You folks have forgotten that the balance changes when you hang that 3 oz plug on it.

I'm more interested in capacity for the line I need to do the job.

I use a Penn Slammer loaded with 20lb braid on a 108-1L

it's the 460 and it holds over 300 yards of line.

On a bogger rig I use a VS-200 with over 400 yards of line on my 132-1L or 1M.

My offshore stuff is purely capacity based... Stich a 200 lb tuna on a rod and no reel will "balance" the rig.

just my .02

reel handles 12-25lb. fish, rod handles 12-25lb fish

12-25# on the rod and reel is the pound test line recomended not the pound fish you can expect them to handle.

I figure out what length rod I want. Then I think about what I'm going to do with the rod, jigging or plugging and how much weight I'll be throwing with the rod. Then knowing that I'm using braided line I look at reels and if they can handle braid. I then match the reel to the rod buy seating the reel on the rod and then laying two or three fingers under the rod just forward of the reel seat and see how well it balances. If the rod is tip heavy I try a heavier reel if it is butt heavy I try a lighter reel.

That seems to make the rod easier to handle when it's balanced well. Maybe it's just me.

If it's tested to 25lbs. than what weight can it handle(line)? I figure your cool for 10 more pounds then you should start concerning yourself with breakage. That is just how I figure it. How much weight is 25lb. test on a rod or line good for?

Most reels that would balance a ten or eleven ft rod will hold plenty of 30# or 50# braid. I use the slammer 560 and the sustain 6000 for throwing 2.5-4oz. plugs on a xra1322 and the nautil 7500pgv on my gsb1322m after I took 6 in. off the top for throwing 3-6oz. jigs in the canal.

If I put 20# braid on either one of these reels and load up the way that I do I'll be picking up my finger tip off of the rocks.

If the rod is rated to 25# line you could use a higher pound test, I do . The super braided lines are rated pretty high. You just have to have enough of a clue to know when to stop using the rod to pull the bottom to the top. If you are using a mono rated 25# or more than you are really losing casting performance.

Never, ever have I even taken into consideration the lb test a rod or reel is rated to. I dont fish off-shore. I strictly use feel, balance, spool diameter, etc.

I know the rods I use are quality, so Im not worried about them breaking. The reel I use (if Im not using my VS's for some insane reason, LOL). is determined on ho wI build the rod. I might use a narrow spool reel (shimano stella 4000) if the rod I m using as smaller guides. (40 or so) on a 9 ft rod. I go from there. Pelase dont listen to what tackle manufactures tell you what your rod or reel can handle. I used to own an ugly stick 12 ft err that they said was rated to 10 oz. Three and that thing almost snapped. but quality, it will last you soooo much loonger and it eliminates so many problems...

BC

I like to match my reels to the rod by knowing what I will use the rod for. If I am fishing a heavy rod with chunks...I use a conventional with no levelwind. This reel holds plent of line if a big fish decides to go. Each situation has its own preference for me but nothing is written in stone and no set up will ever do everything.