Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chipnice

Surf bag

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Thinking of upgrading my aquaskins small /tall. Aquaskins belt. This setup holds enough for a night out but trebles been getting caught in the bottom of top cover and tearing it up I am thinking of a three tube belt bag with a seperate pouch for jig heads and swim shads. A boga holder and maybe a single extra large tube or two for a couple trollers or large jointed plugs Leaning toward flatlander. Wondering if anyone else is making something of similiar quality I like the idea of seperate components so i can pack light when nescessary any ideas? Pics? I will be wetsuiting

Thanks

When I had a aquauskinz bag many years ago I literally put duct tape on the areas where the treble hooks got snagged on, there used for storage now. Many bags to choose from out there. Once you know what to bring to certain fishing spots that your familiar with the lighter your bag will become, prices are crazy for bags and the only decent bag out there with a realistic price is Gear-Up. I personally use 3 tube bags a good friend of mine makes and a 12yr. old Bronco bag that doesn't even have a loose thread to this day. Good luck with your search.

Aquaskinz original run of bags, the ones that were made in Turkey, were made out of better material and there was no issues with hooks getting caught in them. I have one of the 3 tube belt bags and used it ever since it became available.

I was impressed with that little bag so I bought the 5 tube shoulder bag. I sold it within 3 months. They started making them in China and the material wasn't the same. Hooks getting stuck in it, the stitching coming undone, plier holder ripped.

I went back to my belt bag.

If I was looking for a 3 tube bag I'd look at Gear Up. Seems like a nice bag for the money.

i just bought a superior 3 tube belt bag for $24 shipped from some place called posiedon or something like that. have not gotten my hands on it yet

J & H tackle sells Supreme surf bags. Only a small and a large but for $50 and $60 there is a lot of options on it. John Skinner did a review of it on his YouTube channel if you want to see.

I started out in the 80s with an old army surplus canvas bullet pouch with drinking glasses inside! The buckles all rusted off. Then I got a cheap bag called Precision. It lasted me many years but the inside is a plastic covering on the fabric which caught hooks a lot. The belt loop would tear away and needed repairs. Finally I needed to upgrade again. I decided to save my money and just buy at the top tier... I'm getting older now and just want to stop messing with gear that doesn't work well. Seemed almost all bag makers have gone under and I knew I didn't want aquaskinz. I spoke with Jamie at Flatlander and was highly impressed with his ethos, his communications, his designs and his manufacturing skills and quality. So that was my route. Everyone is different. There's something nice about starting a hobby or a job or career with mediocre tools and then slowly improving and buying up as needs require and as you get smarter. There's also something to be said for not having to mess with poor tools but it would sort of be a shame to be young and get access to all top -tier stuff. Who knows. Ya do what seems right and what you can afford.

I just upgraded my bag this year. Went with the Gear Up 3 tube. It met my needs and was in my budget. I was previously using a Surfcaster bag and it's still going strong. I just wanted a bag that was lighter and a bit more storage. I've seen Flatlander bags and they are top notch. Either way you go, all off the products out there will be great(some better than others). Just try to narrow down what you need and go from there. Good luck!

Edited by eelbasher

I had an Aquaskins Surf bag that I just canned after three years; it's junk. When I talked to them two years ago at a show about the fabric problem that the hooks constantly caught, it was like talking to a dummie, no response; nothing. After that waste of time, it all made sense about them and their products. I picked up a MAK three tube bag this off season, and it is well made with the proper fabric and finish. Tubes have good height and beam, and the bag has extra space. I should be good for a long time. Good luck with your quest

Gear up bags are great and reasonably priced

I was looking at the Gear up two tube bag at surf day.  They are the same price as the MAK angler 3 tube bag, however, the Gear up bag has larger tubes and the construction is double layers.  This just means it is a more rigid bag.  I will pull the trigger on the gear up bag as soon as Giglio's (my local store) opens up for the season.

i have about 2 years on my mak angler 2 tube belt bag which means about 100 days in the surf. it is in about the same condition as when it was new. i am not sure the double layer construction is necessary