Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishmania1

Fins 40G braided line

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone used this braid line yet?  It came out about 6 months ago and I have not gotten around to trying because I'm not sure how it would hold up and how this braided line would behave.  Its suppose to be thinner yet stronger and smoother then any other braided line but has anyone tested its abrasion resistance, wind knot resistance, durability, etc?

I picked up the 5lb for fw spinning... Nothing to really report other than out of the box there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about it compared to other premium lines.... Time will tell though

I'll be comparing it to suffix 832.. Maxima 8..and gliss

Edited by scoobydoo

Thanks for the feed back. 

I might purchase the 45lb breaking strength for fall plugging and see how it holds up.  I probably should get the 25 pounder instead but its so thin that if its not good with abrasion resistance than I will have some break offs, which I hate.

Thanks for the feed back.

I might purchase the 45lb breaking strength for fall plugging and see how it holds up. I probably should get the 25 pounder instead but its so thin that if its not good with abrasion resistance than I will have some break offs, which I hate.

I buy line based on thickness. Not the stated breaking strength. Edited by Noodles

I buy line based on thickness. Not the stated breaking strength.

The "stated" thickness is just as bad as the stated breaking strength. Guess you would have to feel the line in person before you buy it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Fins 40G made no break trough in strength/diameter ratio. And that Fins has a habit of understating line thickness.

Ok...so I took out my calipers and measured the Fins 40g.

They claim .004"

HAA what a bunch of BS

At .006 i had to pull pretty hard to pull it out of the jaws and to get there i was squeezing the jaws pretty tightly.    Side by side with suffix 832.   The suffix pulled out much easier.  The suffix is rated at .006"

At .008 it was still pretty tight.

4 strands side by side I could get it to .006.  But i would not want to go any further.  As i would be pressing hard enough to potentially damage my calipers.

Somewhere between .007 and .008 would be my best guess to it's true diameter.  .007 did take some squeezing...meaning it did compact the braid to get there a bit.

So....The package rated diamter of .004 is almost off by 100%

I tested it a dozen times at different sections on the spool.....They are dead wrong.

ANd to be off that far is not honest.

I understand that some braids have a narrower cross section as they aren't round.....I tried to find it.....didn't make a differnce.

Great job Fins.... Advertising honesty in your labeling....only to be full of ****

Edited by scoobydoo

I think you'll like that J braid in 10lbs as far as strength/diameter ratio. Fins 40G is just another Fins braid. Nothing to make it stand out.

Does the 5lbs feel thicker than Gliss 18lbs?

Edited by aquaholik

I think you'll like that J braid in 10lbs as far as strength/diameter ratio. Fins 40G is just another Fins braid. Nothing to make it stand out.

Does the 5lbs feel thicker than Gliss 18lbs?

I hope it's performs well especially due to it's cost.

I use their metered jigging braid.  It was the cheapest thing going and does work well....

i have their 6kg and their 20kg (whatever the strongest one is.)

can't comment on the 18lb

Is gliss stated diameter accurate? I ordered some 24lb gliss and 15lb j braid to compare. Both are rated at .007.

15lb j braid is thicker than 24 lb Gliss, and much stronger as well. 15 lb J braid is like 10lb power pro but because it's smoother, it feels thinner. So far the J braid has impressed me with it's strength/diameter ratio.