Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tin Boat

Rio fly lines

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Any opinions on Rio Quickshooter vs Rio Bonefish fly lines? I own the Quickshooter, and it is a beautiful casting line line. I read somewhere that the Permit is even better.

Buddy hated the rio bonefish line. Said it fell apart pretty quick as in couldn't hold a loop/cast. He's a very good fly fisher and a tackle shop owner

I've used the standard Rio bonefish line for years and am satisfied....which is to say that I can throw it pretty well and haven't had the opportunity to compare it to other lines.  My goal is to hit the fish with one less backcast.  Might the quickshooter help?

I've used the standard Rio bonefish line for years and am satisfied....which is to say that I can throw it pretty well and haven't had the opportunity to compare it to other lines.  My goal is to hit the fish with one less backcast.  Might the quickshooter help?

Yes it will help. I have both the Rio Bonefish and the Rio Bonefish Quickshooter. The Quickshooter does what the name implies and is defintely the better casting line.

I fished the Bonefish Quickshooter and it works well in the wind on the flats --does as advertised.  The Permit is a great casting line and you can hold more line in the air with it than the QS.  We used them last year in Crooked for permit and we very happy with them.  Both are good warm water saltwater lines.  I have the Bonefish QS 6 wt on my early season albie rod and it works very well. 

Quickshooter rocks for wading.  It's on my primary 6 wt Carp rod (long leaders, basically modified bonefish flies, need long accurate, but light presentations). 

I'm taking that rig with me to Belize to look for some bones on the flats too.  

I'm 95% wade fisherman, and I swear by short head lines.  If I was 95% boat on the flats, my opinion may be different, since its much harder to quickly take second/third shots with these lines at distance (Throw 65', miss left, pick it up and put it right back down on target).  The short head lines require that you recover some of that running line first where as a longer head line with less dramatic tapering can be repositioned with just a smooth haul on the pick up. 

I've tried Quickshooter in both tarpon and bonefish.  For me it's very situational.  In most situations I think the normal taper is a better casting line.  The Tarpon QS, for me, is only when I need to make short casts in very windy conditions.  I usually have 1 rod rigged with it if the forecast on the flats is for 25 knot or greater winds.  When the wind goes down to normal (10-15 kt) I don't like the QS.  Once you go beyond 45-50 ft casts (and I've tested this on the lawn as well with tape measure) you can't carry as much line in the air and the normal line is far, far better IMHO.

Comes down to casting preference.  As some people on this thread have said they love it.  I use it maybe the Tarpon QS 1 day a year, although a few years ago when I was fishing for tarpon it was a really windy time for 2-3 days I used a QS all of those days.  Every other day I used a standard tarpon taper.  Really, you'd have to use it and decide for yourself.  Initially one of my friends who competes in the tarpon tourneys down there gave me his Tarpon QS because he disliked it.  I used it in some windy situations and decided to try the Bonefish QS although my intent actually was to see how well it loaded a few selected rods I had rather than windy conditions specifically.  Turns out I really didn't care for the Bonefish that much so now it sits in my box of fly lines after having been used a grand total of one time.  Every once in a while I debate putting up the Bonefish QS on BST....So for me, Tarpon QS is a lot more useful than the bonefish QS.

The Permit line looks interesting to me in terms of grain weight and profile.  I plan to get one but I don't have any opinion other than I think the grain wt and profile may work well on one of my rods.  

Turns out I really didn't care for the Bonefish that much so now it sits in my box of fly lines after having been used a grand total of one time.  

I find it interesting how many fishermen use a line one time and never use it again.  

I find it interesting how many fishermen use a line one time and never use it again.

With how pricey lines are, I wish shops would use cassette reels for shop demos and keep spools of top selling lines and some top niche lines for each weight.  Take out some of the guess work.  I stick generally with Rio, so I can make pretty good educated guesses based on their published profiles, grain weights, and my personal experience with many different types of lines, but I have gone through times where I have given a line away because it just does not fit with the rod I am using and the situations Im fishing, or it does something I dont like (Cough...Sharkskin Saltwater...cough cough)

Be aware the Rio Bonefish QS is exactly=identical the same taper profile and head weight, for the same line size, as the Rio Redfish. So if you have a regular Rio BF and a Rio RF, you can settle this question for yourself without buying a new line....as I did my last trip to the Yucatan, finding the standard Rio BF by far the better for softer presentations.

Be aware the Rio Bonefish QS is exactly=identical the same taper profile and head weight, for the same line size, as the Rio Redfish. So if you have a regular Rio BF and a Rio RF, you can settle this question for yourself without buying a new line....as I did my last trip to the Yucatan, finding the standard Rio BF by far the better for softer presentations.

Thanks, Sightfisher.

I agree. The QS is the better casting line for me, but not as good as the BF when a soft presentation is needed. I use the QS here in New England where delicacy is seldom called for, and it is excellent.Fine for bonefish when there is a chop on thew water, but questionable when it is FAC.

I have both and have used both.  The QS loads up quickly and is good for short range.  The regular Rio is better when you need a little more distance.  Both are good lines and have their place.