Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
devils420

How much line do you really need?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

When considering a new reel, once you have picked the make and model that you want, how do you choose the size.

My question really amounts to how much line do you really need. How much is too much and how much is too little.

Are you looking at spool size or line capacity?

This is a surfishing question only.

For 99% of circumstances 250 yds. is plenty. Fillling the spool to capacity (about 1/8" from the rim) is also important as you'll get much more distance than when it gets low and the drag will be at peak performance also. You can put backing on to take up space before putting the fishing line on, in fact when loading with braid at least a piece of tape and 20 or 30 yds of mono is recommended.

Your question is not really clear as you state after you've picked out the make and model, what size spool should you be looking for? You already chose it when you chose that reel. If your using anything 9' and under, ideal reels would include Penn 710Z, Daiwa SS2600, Tica Libra 4500, Nautil 6500 or VS 150 just to mention a few. Penn 704Z or 706Z, Daiwa BG60, or VS 250 for the 10' sticks and above.

IMHO - look at the size/weight of the reel first so that it balances your rod well. Then I would look at whichever brand of reel it is you like, then I would look at line capacity within that brand's lineup. More line capacity is better in my opinion....you can always add some mono backing if the capacity is too large for you.

"How much line do you really need?" I don't know the absolute answer to that question, but I can say with certainty that if you never see the bottom of your spool then you have just enough line wink.gif .

Alan

The only time I need lots of line is when I'm fishing live bait. Either snag and dropping bunker or drifting eels in outgoing current. Both ways you might have 100, 150 even 200 yds out before getting hit. For any kinda plugging or bottom fishing 250 yds is plenty unless you cast like Ron Arra.