TheToadHunter

Mike Oliver and Other Casting Snobs

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

Can't fully appreciate this thread without seeing the original post from past summer that caused it.

Mike, snobby...don't think so.

An opinionated bastage, well, that's probably fodder for another thread.... :D

Bobby

Bobby

Yes got no issues with that description of my personality. I enhanced those traits once I started to get into TH stuff and got involved in some at times heated debate often with Guys who had never done Out Front stuff with a single hander let alone a TH.

Sometimes its not about opinion but fact.. Argh bad word fact when it comes to fishing. LOL.

Oly

Got to love your Yankee sense of humour Guys. Winter must bring it to the fore. Cp thanks for the clips. Brilliant would love to see the whole film.

I did take a read of the offending thread and could not see any probs. It was one of the better ones I think. But maybe an overreaction to Mike's post. Key he wanted to get attention and got it plus he had a point to make and made it.

As we are trotting down memory lane I still do not understand straight line rod path and how it is achieved even after Mikes (TTH)explanation of pushing a rod tip against a ceiling. I can understand keeping the elbow on an imaginary shelf but the fore arm still moves on an arc during a cast.. The rod tip bends and rod length is changing until it gets to the point it bends no longer.

Anyone fancy trying to explain it to this old Ludite. Thanks

Oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

Got to love your Yankee sense of humour Guys. Winter must bring it to the fore. Cp thanks for the clips. Brilliant would love to see the whole film.

I did take a read of the offending thread and could not see any probs. It was one of the better ones I think.

As we are trotting down memory lane I still do not understand straight line rod path and how it is achieved even after Mikes (TTH)explanation of pushing a rod tip against a ceiling. I can understand keeping the elbow on an imaginary shelf but the fore arm still moves on an arc during a cast.. The rod tip bends and rod length is changing until it gets to the point it bends no longer.

Oly

Hello Mike,

I think things would become much more clear to you if you started to drink the same Kool-Aid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkE0ulJNhM4

HT

Edited by HillTop

Been told it's more of a 16 wt.  :eek:

Hey we keep this up we might even warrant a move to the Tavern

A little bit of Tavern isn't a bad thing...

Oly

...The rod tip bends and rod length is changing until it gets to the point it bends no longer because we can not continue to accelerate anymore! Then rod begins to unload but straightening can still slightly increase the line speed until tip travel path turns more and more down and rod tip speed decrease under the current line speed and line loop begins to form.

Esa

Edited by crunch

Esa,

I understand that the rod will progressively bend more as we accelerate it and it will lose its height at the tip relative to the ground up to the point where we stop accelerating the rod.

Ok so rod is constantly losing height up to the point we stop the acceleration. So how is a constant rod tip height maintained?

Mike 

Ok so rod is constantly losing height up to the point we stop the acceleration. So how is a constant rod tip height maintained?

Mike 

It comes quite well naturally when rod first bends and then straightens Starts long´then shortens and then lengthens back. When SH casting and we haul it is possible to accelerate line longer and this also delays the moment the line loop begins to form. But when we TH cast the line loop begins to form sooner. Also when we do basic SH cast and we don't manipulate our hand travel path. With manipulation here I mean that first we move hand forward and it soon begins to turn more down but then we lift rod hand up and push it forward and same time straighten the wrist.

Esa 

7 minutes and 13 seconds of your life go by. 

If somebody posted a video of them hitting a golf ball 300 yards with a plunger and a whiffle bat, that would be impressive.

I am going to attempt this the next time gale force tail winds hit my area. I am going to prove that my son's Fat Albert red bat can perform exactly the same as a Big Bertha driver! What if I can only get the golf ball to go 30' though? Should I still post the video some time in 2017?

The video was nice but the ones after were a riot! What was this thread about? Oh, yea casting something or other??

Saltyh2fly

Its on a meander like so many threads end up. For better for worse. :)

Oly