TheToadHunter

Mike Oliver and Other Casting Snobs

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

Who cares? I can hold my fly in my left hand and drop it into a trout stream and catch fish or hook a bass right at my feet in the surf. Just have fun and catch fish, no need to worry about what others are doing. Some guys enjoy being technical and getting the max possible distance by perfecting their technique and using high end equipment, if that is their thing and that makes them happy, good for them.

Who cares? I can hold my fly in my left hand and drop it into a trout stream and catch fish or hook a bass right at my feet in the surf. Just have fun and catch fish, no need to worry about what others are doing. Some guys enjoy being technical and getting the max possible distance by perfecting their technique and using high end equipment, if that is their thing and that makes them happy, good for them.

Bingo. Who cares. I agree with the original premise that equipment does not make much of a difference. You can cast or you can't. I also agree with mike Oliver, whoever he may be that warrants being singled out, that some people enjoy the finer things while others drink Budweiser.

Now I would like to pick a bone with somebody over a post last summer. I just can't remember with who or for what.

Bingo. Who cares. I agree with the original premise that equipment does not make much of a difference. You can cast or you can't.

The premise being that it's the caster is just fine and correct. Everybody, once they learn, should know that. No different than thinking a new tennis racket or golf clubs will change your whole game...work on technique. I've said before that it's done me well to have used, and still use, (fly) rods ranging between very soft and telephone pole. You wanna' be able to work with anything that gets into your hand.

Edited by patchyfog

Can't fully appreciate this thread without seeing the original post from past summer that caused it.

Mike, snobby...don't think so.

An opinionated bastage, well, that's probably fodder for another thread.... :D

Bobby

Can't fully appreciate this thread without seeing the original post from past summer that caused it.

Mike, snobby...don't think so.

An opinionated bastage, well, that's probably fodder for another thread.... :D

Bobby

Michael doesn't have Opinions. They are Pronouncements!  After breaking my 10wt and just after I received the new Pro4 10wt replacement from GLoomis I took a chance and let him cast the virgin rod on the lawn at Freeman Street. His pronouncement was "I never liked Loomis, but this is a great rod. Shiminao has really done a good job with Loomis."

It is a good rod fast and accurate. (But of course, Mon Ami, I am the driver of said rod.Eh?)  It is as good as my 10wt St. Croix Legend Elite.  

iI would like to give Toadman the "Wicked Pissah Award for for Brevity in Posting. Very few trolls on their first attempt to reach Civilization since last year has created 3 pages of comments. He posted the first spot and we,alls put up almst 3 full pages of banter and brotherhood.

Hip, hip Hooray for Tooaaad Maaann!

Goodf Night Wartboy, I must get my rest.

.......... As a proud member of the Elite Casting Snobs Club ............ I'm sorry that TheToadhunter (did I spell that right) has never tried a surf fly rod .......... Hopefully he will have a chance to try one by next year so he can see what we see .........

Oops ....... My bad ........ I meant TheToadHunter ........ I'll change it

Edited by rhahn427