TheToadHunter

Mike Oliver and Other Casting Snobs

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

Now that I have your attention....

This past Summer I appeared out of nowhere, and disappeared as quickly. I apologize. The lifestyle I lead is consumed by the outdoors when I am not working. As much as I love debating and arguing with fellow fisherman/hunters/trappers, I much rather prefer to create new experiences AWAY from my laptop.

This post is in reply to a previous line and rod debate from last Summer. If I remember correctly, several members and I were speaking about lines, rods, and casting technique. I filmed this non-conventional casting video in reply, but never linked it. If I remember correctly, it was uploaded a day or two after my last reply.

My opinion, that I will NOT budge on, is that fly fisherman blame their equipment for poor performance rather than themselves. Take it as you wish (along with a country slur), but one specific piece of equipment cannot be held at fault for the ignorance of a willingness to learn.

Mike

My opinion, that I will NOT budge on, is that fly fisherman blame their equipment for poor performance rather than themselves. 

First off, if you had really been paying attention, you would know that this is the exact same sentiment that Mr. Oliver holds, and professes in countless threads. . ..

Second, your video shows what?  30' of line picked up off the grass?  I can throw 30' of line in a tight loop with just my arms. To call out Mike and then post that crap. . . whatever. . . your post isn't worth the time I took to respond to it, but it's winter and we all could use a good round of useless banter.  For that, I congratulate you.  

Absolutely laughable, here's the emoji   :wee:

If you care to ship me some of what you're smokin'  . . .

Geeze I love the elipse. . .  

Say does anyone know a good chocolate chip cookie recipe?

O

Toad Hunter.  The wane winter in the endless mountains in NE PA must have awakened you early.  Go back to hibernate until the opening day of Trout.

27 posts, and you act like you have hair on your chest.  Everyone has an opinion! Yours is a bit odd. If you are trying to pick a fight you bought a wet noodle to a place where a nice fat brick is the starting point of things that do damage. Or, you are at the infantile age of a future rumplestiltskin.   A small and  humble troll attempt that fell flat on its face. Your apology is accepted.  May 2016 be a happy, healthy and profitable experience to you.

:howdy:

Guys

I don't have a problem with this post. It was interesting to see the video and it does go some way in demonstrating just how versatile rods can be.

If the main plank of the post is to stress it is the Caster and not the rod that gives performance I would essentially agree. Way too many of us chase a good cast by buying the latest and greatest in new gear rather than looking to significantly improve our cast.

It is equally true that having the right tools for the job will not do any harm either.

Now for the life of me I can't remember the exact post Mike is referring too. Did it relate to single hand rod casting or Two Hander and I  am not able to recall what was said that may have caused such a response.

Whats wrong with a bit of passion.

I am also sure that Mike knows casting over grass and over the ocean are very different propositions. 

Mikey

Who cares? I can hold my fly in my left hand and drop it into a trout stream and catch fish or hook a bass right at my feet in the surf. Just have fun and catch fish, no need to worry about what others are doing. Some guys enjoy being technical and getting the max possible distance by perfecting their technique and using high end equipment, if that is their thing and that makes them happy, good for them.

Could you please create some more vids with nice headbanging to listen to....maybe for like ANOTHER of your routine 50 steelhead days?

First off, if you had really been paying attention, you would know that this is the exact same sentiment that Mr. Oliver holds, and professes in countless threads. . ..

Second, your video shows what?  30' of line picked up off the grass?  I can throw 30' of line in a tight loop with just my arms. To call out Mike and then post that crap. . . whatever. . . your post isn't worth the time I took to respond to it, but it's winter and we all could use a good round of useless banter.  For that, I congratulate you.  

Absolutely laughable, here's the emoji   :wee:

If you care to ship me some of what you're smokin'  . . .

Geeze I love the elipse. . .  

Say does anyone know a good chocolate chip cookie recipe?

O

Just like the name says, this is the chocolate chip cookie extraordinaire! Definitely one of Betty's favorites!

Ingredients
  3/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1 cup butter or margarine, softened 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 egg 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 375ºF.
  • 2 Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
  • 3 Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  • 4 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

post-53496-0-29586000-1455117195.jpg

What the hell did I just watch?

7 minutes and 13 seconds of your life go by. 

If somebody posted a video of them hitting a golf ball 300 yards with a plunger and a whiffle bat, that would be impressive. 

7 minutes and 13 seconds of your life go by. 

If somebody posted a video of them hitting a golf ball 300 yards with a plunger and a whiffle bat, that would be impressive. 

300 yards is tough with a good swing, great balance, the best club and a matched ball.....with the wind at your back. Geeez. Everyone knows it's never the equipment, or the fish ( just gotta find em), and a lousy cast is OK if you don't care about giving lessons. But that cookie recipe sounds intriguing.