Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mbtileguy

Dressed Siwash on SP minnow

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Thinking of changing rear treble with a single dressed Siwash will this drastically change the way it swims

For me, it made it swim like absolute crap. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I lightly dressed some 3/0 siwash and it seemed to tighten the swim pattern a bit. I thought it swam pretty nice but I'll have to wait till spring to see if they produces. Never hurts to try something different, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Edited by Mark L

I know there are many variable to this, but I did not like the dressed hook on the SP. I am thinking about going 2/0 on the middle and leaving the back hook less. Right now I am using 1/0 front and back. Any thoughts on 2/0 middle without the back hook.

I was gonna switch a bunch of plugs to single hooks but I decided not to cause of price and afraid to miss fish..... I went with crushed barbs and I'm happy with the easy releases, no problems with balance or losing action like moving to single hook.gl

I know there are many variable to this, but I did not like the dressed hook on the SP. I am thinking about going 2/0 on the middle and leaving the back hook less. Right now I am using 1/0 front and back. Any thoughts on 2/0 middle without the back hook.

have done that. works well and 1 less small treble hook to deal with when unhooking a fish

2/0 on the belly and a flag on the tail swims fine.

Correct. A flagg-stubb with a  buck-tail teaser "tied" on it does virtually nothing to the action of the SP Minnow. I have a current tank in the shop & have tested this. A dressed Siwash hook would be a bad idea. The problem is the mass (weight) of the Siwash hook. It creates drag on the lure, which effectively "lengthens" it and turns it into a Needle fish with a lip. The Siwash also hangs down at an angle as the plug tries to wobble, making it similar to an anchor. The plugs nose elevates because of the anchor effect and then the swimming action is further thrown off. You want the SP minnow to run nice and level and maintain it's rapid, flutter/wobble. The vibrations this bait throws off attract predatory strikes & make it a great searching pattern and it has a very lifelike swimming motion. 

The Flagg Tail meanwhile has almost no weight. As the lure wobbles, the tail kicks back and forth more like a real bait-fish tail would. Because of it's neutral buoyancy, the Stubb tail flutters parallel to the body of the lure, further enhancing the silhouette of the lure/tail combination. The stubb has a tiny bit of wind resistance, yet does little to detract from casting distance (a couple of feet less per cast? not even sure I notice any difference). The advantage is the bait is more lifelike with the tiny tail tied on a light wire stubb. 

Edited by CaryGreene

switching out the stock tail treble and adding a single siwash hook with (light) bucktail would add buoyancy to the ass end, not additional weight...no?

The problem is that a Siwash Hook is 3X Heavy so it would be the wrong type of hook to tie a teaser on for such a small bait. If tied on a Mustad 34007 style light wire hook, the weight is offset to some degree by the buyancy of the hollow bucktail fibers. Still, even the 34007 hangs down in the current tank. Bucktail fibers have very little air cells in them, as compared to Deer Body hair. Even Deer Hair doesn't float for long either. Once it is saturated, it sinks. 

Edited by CaryGreene