Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surgeonfish

Are u happy with century rods

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

What happened?

Typical PRO STAFF nonsense. Promote a product like **** then have a falling out and they become "carp rods"

I have a 10 foot stealth and like it. Great parabolic action for swimmers, pencils and bucktails.

Typical PRO STAFF nonsense. Promote a product like **** then have a falling out and they become "carp rods"

I have a 10 foot stealth and like it. Great parabolic action for swimmers, pencils and bucktails.

xplains a lot. I was lookin a few weeks ago and was confused about the $600 carp rods

xplains a lot. I was lookin a few weeks ago and was confused about the $600 carp rods

If you like a noodle for bucktails like I do, you should look no further.

Parabolic rod for bucktails? Why is that preferred?

I understand parabolic action for pencils and poppers, but I'd prefer a faster action for bucktails and jigging.

I hate the term parabolic...it doesn't belong in big game fishing.  I like a stiff pole with braid when jigging.  A ron Arra 1205 and blazing fast VS 275.  I see a truck sometimes with a big ass century sticker on the back. 

I didn't realize VS 275's were considered fast reels. Thought the line retrieve was ratio was 4.25 to 1 @ 40" per turn. Will have to run downstairs to the shop & check the specs on my 275 box. I've been fishing this reel for 20 years & always thought it was slower and good for dead drifting eels. The 275 does have a freeking massive spool diameter though. 

On my Century rods I have been using Shimano's like recently, the Ultegra (5.5 to 1 @ 41" per. turn), which just seem a lot quicker and far, far lighter. This balances the Century blank a whole lot better.  Could be all the other technology they pack into them. There isn't much difference between the Aara's and the Sling-Shots, other than a noticeable difference in weight. Neither one is cutting edge technology at this point both are a little long in the tooth technology wise, but have similar feels.

Now, if you want to talk about blank technology -  fly rod's like the Sage Method, the G. Loomis NRX or the Hardy Wraith...etc, we could discuss Nano-Silicate Resins, Particle Encapsulation, Konnetic Modulus Positioning and that other jive. Haven't seen a surf rod that feels as good as the Century's & Aara's of the world yet. With surf rods the sales are a lot less/lower nationally so they seem to be the last types of rods many large manufacturers really dial in on. The Shimano Tiralejo is an interesting rod and perhaps it is one of the more advanced rods out there. I still prefer the Century's & the Aara's but the gap is closing a bit for a few of the larger manufacturers. 

What we're looking for are very specific, niche type applications. It's tough to find exactly what you're looking for. Century blanks have been a welcome addition to the commercially available line of rods that is out there. We should see some cool stuff hit the market in the next 3 to 5 years. The tapers they create are expensive to design. Blank Mandrels are really expensive. If a manufacturer goes through a ton of effort to make a jigging surf rod, the pencil guys will avoid it like the plague and visa-versa.

Edited by CaryGreene

Parabolic rod for bucktails? Why is that preferred?

I understand parabolic action for pencils and poppers, but I'd prefer a faster action for bucktails and jigging.

Personal preference. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I like a noodle for bucktails. (better FBN)  :howdy: 

I didn't realize VS 275's were considered fast reels. Thought the line retrieve was ratio was 4.25 to 1 @ 40" per turn. Will have to run downstairs to the shop & check the specs on my 275 box. I've been fishing this reel for 20 years & always thought it was slower and good for dead drifting eels. The 275 does have a freeking massive spool diameter though. 

275 is fast.  The 300 is dog slow.  The 250 is in between and probably the  best if i had to choose one for all.  Now back to your Century pole conversation...