Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chipnice

fishers log

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

planning to keep a log this year   started surfcasting last year had alot of good days and nights and wish i had kept a record 

not sure if i should start an an old school notebook or do something on my phone  

what info is important   date time tide moon phase barometer wind speed and direction sea heights  plugs bait used 

any suggestions greatly appreciated 

Start and end times. Locations, dropping or rising tide period of tide. Moonrise or set time, period of the moon, full, New, half etc.. Sunrise, sunset time. Wave height and frequency. Wind direction and speed. Rainy, overcast, clear night or day. What you caught or didn't catch. The dates you fished, temperature. What you used when and where (eels-plugs etc...). Other things you observed, other fisherman, seals etc...

Exactly what In The Surf said. I think it's very important to get in the habit of posting in your log right after you fish. Don't put it off or you will forget small details which could be quite important.

I have an excel spreadsheet with the following info:

Date, Time (start & finish), Location, Tide, Water Condition, Water Temp, Air temp, Wind Direction, Wind Speed, Moon Phase, Fish Caught, Length, Weight, Caught on, Catch or Released, Remarks

Keeping a log is key and especially useful after you have a few seasons worth of entries. Tough part is arranging all the info in a organized manner. Lots of details can be recorded... Come up with a system that you can repeat eaisly. Be methodical with your first few entries then repeat. Makes life alot eaiser when your reading back through..

If you feel that's too much work I'd go with Skinner app.

I use my notes on my phone by year so one for 2014,2015,2016 etc its easier to back track.

I use this format

Date:

Vessel:

Launch Location:

Time:

Conditions:

Tide:

Wind:

Water Temp:

Air Temp:

Bait or lures:

Bait in area:

method:

Species:

Fish Caught:

Hits:

Lost:

Notes:

I will also add little notes in between my logs for fist hand reports of trusted people and boats: so I can get a picture of where the fish are and aren't.....Report all good and bad. GL

I've seen the Skinner app and it's pretty darn cool, but I'm a firm believer in hard copies. I just don't trust computers, some malfunction happens and all your data is lost. With that being said; the last time I moved, a box full of my logs was unfortunately lost - UGGH! So in hindsight both would be optimal, but who's really going to do that. The best advice is to log EVERYTHING you can remember. Some things that may seem insignificant will prove to be very relevant when you later discover patterns.

I've seen the Skinner app and it's pretty darn cool, but I'm a firm believer in hard copies. I just don't trust computers, some malfunction happens and all your data is lost. With that being said; the last time I moved, a box full of my logs was unfortunately lost - UGGH! So in hindsight both would be optimal, but who's really going to do that. The best advice is to log EVERYTHING you can remember. Some things that may seem insignificant will prove to be very relevant when you later discover patterns.

I use his app and love it. I email a copy to my gmail so that I have a backup in the google cloud for just that reason.

I 2nd Skinners "FishersLog."  Only thing that's wrong with it is that it's not compatible with mobile devices.  Other than that, it's got everything you need. 

It really makes no sense to me to have all your data in an actual book where you can't filter the data.   :headscratch:

I started making one recently as well. Even though I havent taken notes for the past year, Ive got a bunch of photos on my phone which tells me date, time and other hints such as weather conditions for me to create a log. Once you know the date, you can always go back and look at weather/moon history.

I'm simply using an excel spreadsheet with "date, day, location, target species, success(yes/no), temp, wind, high/low tide times, sky, moon, company(who you fished with)" and of course "notes"

Edited by viper2788

Does anyone know if there is an app that would automatically pull in all the generic atmospheric/marine data for you so you wouldn't have to manually enter it?