BillyBallGame

Lowrance Hook 7? Garmin Striker 7?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

A few months ago, I was looking at upgrading to a newer FF/Chartplotter. Went with the Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp. It was the right price and had all of the features I wanted, and I've always liked the Lowrance products I've used. I have read the the chartplotter function can perform slow sometimes because of an underpowered processor but I was willing to take the risk. 

Fast forward to now, and I see Lowrance has a totally new line out that looks very similar to the Elite series. Sifting through all the marketing jargon, I can't seem to find the difference between the Elite series and the Hook series. 

The Hook 7 is the same price the Elite I bought so I'm thinking about making the exchange. Anyone have any experience with the new Hook series? Can anyone make out the difference between the two models? Might just be a rebranding of the unit. 

I always see that Garmin just came out with the Striker series, combo units in the same price range as the Hook. Anyone know anything about this?

I was hoping to see you get some replies to your post as I am looking as well.  From what I've seen it looks like the Hook 7 is new and haven't been able to find any reviews. Also I see on the Lowrance website there are rebates for select Elite versions - Maybe trying to sell those out ?  Raymarine also has a comparably price product but a little more expensive with the PRO.  I did see some reviews on the Elite 7 specifically complaining about the slow processor speed with the charting. Hope to see you get some replies. I'm close to just trying the HOOK 7. Thanks for your post. Lowrance / Garmin / Raymarine ? 

The Hook is basically a re badged Elite.

Very little difference, if you have an elite and like it save your money.

They made way for the new Ti models which have a structure scan mode in a new transducer.

Had to do it because of the Hummingbird Helix kinda kicking their butts last year.

I spent a bunch of time at the Miami Boat Show talking to the Lowrance/Simrad guys and the Hummingbird guys.  My big concern is the side imaging as it is something I have not used in the past.  Based on what I got from the various reps I am going to be buying the Elite 7 Ti with Total scan and preloaded navionics charts.

sam

Don't bother with the Striker if you're looking for a chartplotter. Those units have internal GPS, but are incapable of accepting any type of cartography. If you're looking for a cheaper Garmin with sounder/plotter look at the Echo Map series. They offer both downview and sideview models. A better quality product than the Lowrance Elite series. Always have been.

I'm pretty sure the Lowrance Hook products are replacements for the Elite series.

Edited by Seadogg

Brought the boat over to the mechanic to get springerized and the FF installed. Mechanic (who's also a big fisherman) said I should have sprung for the Elite series. We'll see how it goes.