ged

Van Staal VR - Real Reel Report

Rate this topic

685 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, Marty said:

What? What tackle store?  I order in November now it’s july?

J&H, as well as my local shop Fishermans Headquarters and also Tackle Direct all said next month when I call. 

J&h said specifically in their Instagram live streams maybe May for one small batch and then not again until maybe July. I tend to believe them because from dealing with them they have been extremely up front about products and companies which is quite hard to find now a days. So cudos to them... 

I can't help but feel bad for the shops that are taking the brunt of things because of Van Staal.. 

They "might" be getting a few in May but this is Van Staal leading on shops. Saying that they are being flown in "hopefully" next month then again in July "hopefully"...

Wanna hear something crazy? 

No vsbx models until 2019! 

57 mins ago, FlounderWetspot said:

J&H, as well as my local shop Fishermans Headquarters and also Tackle Direct all said next month when I call. 

J&h said specifically in their Instagram live streams maybe May for one small batch and then not again until maybe July. I tend to believe them because from dealing with them they have been extremely up front about products and companies which is quite hard to find now a days. So cudos to them... 

I can't help but feel bad for the shops that are taking the brunt of things because of Van Staal.. 

They "might" be getting a few in May but this is Van Staal leading on shops. Saying that they are being flown in "hopefully" next month then again in July "hopefully"...

Wanna hear something crazy? 

No vsbx models until 2019! 

I’m glad I have my VS USA made reels. I thought guys were wrong when they said USA made VS were better. They may be right. I have two new VSX 150 and 100 both been served 2 times each for drag. My buddy check them today for me and you can turn the locking drag nut down all the way. Lock it up and still pull drag. It’s not right. Both reels ?  Now I’m scared that they will rush building the VR 50 and have problems. My USA VS are 20 years old and never had a problem and never served. Again I’m scared to send them in for service. Get them back with problems.  

8 hours ago, DeepBlueSea said:

thanks Ged, I was about to make a mistake of buying a VR, then I seen this....

DBS

If anyone is going to decide on future purchases based on what they read in this thread then I have a nice bridge to sell! :banghd:

4 mins ago, recoil said:

If anyone is going to decide on future purchases based on what they read in this thread then I have a nice bridge to sell! :banghd:

Thank goodness I thought I was the only one!

2 hours ago, recoil said:

The VR is fine for most people, but it isn’t ZB or VS quality. You usually get what you pay for. The VR drag in the larger reels has been a disappontement. The VR50 has been a pleasant surprise. I hope the newer spool/drag is used in the larger VR reels

(the RK way, always tinkering)

By the way, a few weeks ago I had my hands on a black Trydent SeaProof, a first generation VR with classic RK first generation bolt on side cover. I will see if the owner will allow me to complete an autopsy. 

2 hours ago, DonkeyLips said:

Damn, that looks nice!

Thanks brother!  Turns out Fishermans headquarters had a small call-in list to those who inquired. Literally a list of guys who called an asked for the reels...  I happened to be one person that called  about two weeks ago. As luck would have it FH received enough vr50’s to cover the list.....( 4 people.....)....I happened to be one of them! 

Got the call yesterday and jumped all over it. So much for 130 person list and 6 months waiting... 

2 hours ago, DonkeyLips said:

FlounderWetspot - what do you have that on?  7' Medium?

For now is a St.Croix Tidemaster 7’0 MF which is a bit too light for me (3/8- 3/4), So I will be looking to upgrade that soon.... 

21 mins ago, FlounderWetspot said:

For now is a St.Croix Tidemaster 7’0 MF which is a bit too light for me (3/8- 3/4), So I will be looking to upgrade that soon.... 

I have the new TFO 7' MH 3/8-1oz, so close enough.  IS this the perfect reel for our rods?  I'm using it for flounder and maybe Albies.

7 hours ago, DonkeyLips said:

I have the new TFO 7' MH 3/8-1oz, so close enough.  IS this the perfect reel for our rods?  I'm using it for flounder and maybe Albies.

It is indeed the unicorn you seek

ged, What number is that reel, you can give the first number that will do fine, have to ask is there a nylon bushing supporting the pinion or is the pinion just riding in the bore, sold my early reel 20 years ago and l just don't remember. The drag in VS200 or 250 wasn't any better them the drag in Penn 700 it had the brown delrin washers, along with delrin spool bushing in stead of brass, that was the only pit fall of that reel. l had one of the first VS200 off the line and the spool bushing got wiped out fishing the surf for a week at the Cape got some nice fish but they did there toll on the drag systen and spool bushings. Pit stop at VS on the way home, fix the problem but messed up the bluing on spool lip and in side the rotor. 

44 mins ago, LB said:

ged, What number is that reel, you can give the first number that will do fine, have to ask is there a nylon bushing supporting the pinion or is the pinion just riding in the bore, sold my early reel 20 years ago and l just don't remember. The drag in VS200 or 250 wasn't any better them the drag in Penn 700 it had the brown delrin washers, along with delrin spool bushing in stead of brass, that was the only pit fall of that reel. l had one of the first VS200 off the line and the spool bushing got wiped out fishing the surf for a week at the Cape got some nice fish but they did there toll on the drag systen and spool bushings. Pit stop at VS on the way home, fix the problem but messed up the bluing on spool lip and in side the rotor. 

Reel is 19XX.

The Delrin is supposed to be self lubricating. Early VS reels had the “bumble bee” Delrin drag washers that would never max out due to this property. Even if you tghten the drag all the way, the spool will not lock. These drag washers need to be changed with better material. 

The spool hub is Delrin as well. I can see that sand between this and the stainless main shaft could create issues with consistent, smooth drag. 

I will check the pinion bushing if I have time to open it today. 

Edited by ged