dannyplug1

How to load a cotton Cordell pencil

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I want to know how much mineral oil to add to the seven inch pencil to load it? Also what size VMC trebbels should be used to replace the original hooks on the plug? Thanks Charlie

Charlie, 

I think you will find if you search a lot of mixed results on this.  In reality it is loaded with a ball bearing already to cast well and provide good action.  IMO, leave it be.

If you want a cheap pencil to look at loading try the Tsunami popper.  It's hollow and lends well to water weighting.  I think Skinner recommended around 6 CC's H20....you might have to adjust.

Regardless, I think the best thing is to figure out how it should sit in the water static.  A redfin, for instance, should sit tail down, head out of water, with the hydrofoil basically parallel with the surface.

Skinner did something similar with the Tsunami popper, had it floating, head out of water.  Basically, he didn't want it to sink, and added water to improve casting and action without having it sink. I am pretty sure he has a video showing what he did in a bucket, same logic should apply for the CC if you desired to load it.

So, to do that right, depends on your hardware as well.  I'd say, fill a 5 gallon bucket, throw some kosher salt in if you want.....and figure it out.  Then tell us your secret :)

I just did some 1 oz cotton cordell's today.

I used shot not water.

Before loading the plug, with hooks weighs roughly 1.2 oz, i add .4 to bring it to a total weight of 1.6

The will still just barely float at this weight.

I never did water on the pencil poppers and don't know if you can load them more with water

Hope that helps

First I wouldn't recommend loading anything with water - ever - as H20 evaporates. If you want to load with a liquid, use Mineral Spirits as they won't do this.

Second, the way to load a Cotton Cordell Pencil is to use #8 Bird-Shot (lead balls far smaller than a BB.

You can achieve much heavier weights that with liquids and, by using a baking scale, you can do a variety of 1.4oz. - 2oz., 2.5oz. - 3oz., & 4oz. You can get Bird Shot in most Hunting Stores, like Cabela's for example. Heavy Sonking Cotton Cordell's worked just fine, they cast a mile plus you can keep them on the surface easily if you dance them along. A Heavy Cotton Cordell is the same thing as a Left Hook Pencil (in theory) & also casts better due to the weight transfer.

Drill a small hole on the top rear of the plug, as far back as is possible & dump the Bird-Shot in, Weighing it as you go along.

Once you have the desired weight, epoxy the hole with 5-Minute Epoxy. You don't need to worry about sanding the epoxy down if you don't make a mess. Use a Bodkon needle to apply the epoxy & you will have good control. Use two coats/applications. When done, color hole with a Sharpie Marker or a Paint Pen.

BAM. You now have an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile which will out cast liquid loaded Pencils all day long.

Side Note: Using Bird Shot is a terrible idea wit "swimmers" like the Red Fin Shad. The Bird Shot badly throws off the balance of the lure as it swims & even cause it to ride upside down if you used too much.

Edited by CaryGreene

Lots of people seem to do it and have no problems but I agree about redfins and shots.

Wish I could find the picture of the chambers inside of the cordell pencil that I saw in the past, can't find it now.

Wouldn't balancing weight in the middle and back make it dance better? Even though might unbalance and sacrifice some cast distance.

Find the Mercury... 1/0 or 2/0 works fine but a 2/0 VMC is larger then a 2/0 Mustad this is not a plug I put a large hook on. I drill a hole with a tiny bit to get a needle in or if i use BBs I try to keep it as small as I can and push them in. And I plug the hole shut then epoxy. Some I have loaded to sit vertically but not sink and others sink.

Just enough to keep the head out of the water. FYI, lead shot never evaporates or leaks out.

I like lead shot, never tried liquid. The lead shot gives a nice rattle that seems to create hard strikes.