Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pyramid Scheme

New surf guides, new thread Microwave 30 anybody try them yet?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys,

Has anybody try the new 30 size microwave guides out yet for a surf or inshore rod and if you have what do you think about them? My gripe so far without trying them is having to buy the running guides with 30/10 and transition guide instead of seperately.

Thanks,

David

Edited by Pyramid Scheme

I havent' tried them, but  I have  them in stock, contact me if you'd like a set, or a few. xlrods@yahoo.com

I used the smaller ones on all my lighter spinnign rods,I also helped them promote and advertise them when they came out. They work really well, cast smoother, line flow slmoother, MUCH easier to set up - the one thing they do not  do is cast further COMPARED TO A PROPELY SET UP other guide set up.

Posted (edited)

Billy now you open up a can of wormies  for as based on the number of desperate posts on SOL just how many rods are set up properly. LOL So many don't seem to know how to do it still.

Back to my hibernation.

Oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

I built one a few months back. Haven't fished with it in the ocean yet but Iv'e been using it a lot for testing my home made plugs in a pond. They casts great and the distance is pretty much on par with my other rods. Of course it would be nice to do an actual test with them vs other guides on the same blank. I'm a bit skeptical that they would work as well for larger reels or line. I believe the claims are they will work on 4000-7000 size reels. I'm currently using a ssv4500 with 30 lb braid.

Billy now you open up a can or wormies  for as based on the number of desperate posts on SOL just how many rods are set up properly. LOL So many don't seem to know how to do it still.

Back to my hibernation.

Oly

I can understand why there are so many post on guide setups because there is so many variables and old misinformation out there.The rods I have built so far I can say that the guides are set up more for fish fighting vs casting distance.My St Croix Avid 11ft has Alps SV reductions starting with 30mm going down to 10mm mn style runners which I pretty happy with using with a Shimano 6000-8000.My metal/ light bait rod I completed last year is an Allstar 1266 using Fuji titanium klh 16 down to Alps ti 8 mm single foots for runners using a Shimano 5000 with 14lb fusion braid.By using the kr GPS it says I should start with a size 20mm but the size 16 I think works great with no line slap and good distance. Should be even better when I go with a 4000 size that I intend to use with this rod.If the lure was less weight or using heavy braid I can understand having to use a 20mm as the first reduction guide.

There is so many variables like reel size,line diameter,lure weight,rod action,leader knots,fishing conditions ie casting on sand vs rock jetty and guide clogging seaweed,then we have all of different guide styles and inserts and it can fry most newbie rod builder's brains!

I can see how the microwave guide system makes it easier to set up.

I did a rod with the casting set for a friend. Both of us really liked the way they worked.great on a freshwater bass rod. I was gonna get the larger kit for surf when they came out but then i handled the stripper and it is HEAVY. That drove me away.perhaps i will still order it one day to mess with it.

The 30/50 is a beast. You could decapitate someone if that thing ever came loose

Yeah I can imagine those 50s in use with an Alvey reel.

The 30/10 with 10mm transition shouldn't be heavier than a 3 guide concept reduction going from 30,20 and 12mm

I will have to handle them at the ICRBE

Posted (edited)

Pyramid

If the new guys would just go and look up Lous video of how he set up a spinning rod with a simple NGC layout it would put them on the pathway to working out how to place guides on a rod.

We can't hand hold for every variation in rods that are out there.

There is a responsibility to learn by trying stuff out once you have the basics. You certainly have why not others. I am speaking generally here of course.

There is enough info from Fuji and AR to go and set up a rod. It does not really matter how many variables there are when there are processes that take care of those variables.

It just takes a bit of effort and these days I think too many want it on a dead smooth polished plate with no sharp edges. Spoon fed practically.

In reality what is so difficult in laying out a set of guides for a given rod.

Some make it more difficult because they will not invest in a big enough number of guides and sizes to make it work. They do not want to make any financial effort either. Who wants to help people like this.

A number of Guys on SOL have been and some still are very generous with their time and knowledge I just wish it was respected by some a bit better.

Just a few thoughts from this side of the pond. 

Hope this new system if you decide to try it works out for you.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I would think it has to be a good bit lighter. At most it would weigh around the same as a 30 and two 10's. The extra metal/ring added to the stripper looks to be less material than it would take to make the 10mm transition guide.

Posted (edited)

Hi hear you Mike, Lou's video sure helped me out with my 11 foot surf rod build for sure.I agree with you with the wealth of info available and sometimes rodbuilders just have go to it and wrap some guides on if it is a rod for personal use because they can be cut right off if it does not work out.Can't truly learn without making some mistakes along the way.Thanks all the input and advice on here.

Thanks

Edited by Pyramid Scheme