Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

If the EPA "did their job" in Flint Michigan

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

as the Director told us 3 days ago:

1) Why did the Regional Director resign her post?

2)Why is there lead in the drinking water?

Thank you masterminds in advance for your succinct answers.

Thank you masterminds in advance for your succinct answers.

Not sure. Sounds like city and state decided to tap the flint river. Local rule. No eps involvement needed. Can't afford clean water? Drink lead and poop. That's what the locals decided. Maybe they didn't know the flint river was full of lead or poop but I doubt it.

Don't know about the poop, but from what I understand the Flint River isn't full of lead. The pipes delivering the water are, though, and  the Flint River is full of corrosives which cause the lead to leach from the pipes into the water.

Not sure. Sounds like city and state decided to tap the flint river. Local rule. No eps involvement needed. Can't afford clean water? Drink lead and poop. That's what the locals decided. Maybe they didn't know the flint river was full of lead or poop but I doubt it.

I took one look at the mayor of Flint, and excuses excuses," blame everybody but yourself," was abundant.

Typical

Regional direcor resigned.  Why?

Because EPA botched it after they found out, last April I think. Investigate it.

MDEQ knew from Day 1, they had to have approved the switch to the Flint R. Investigate it.

Investigate what happened with the politicians.

It all stinks. I do know you'd like to keep the investigation limited to EPA.

Because EPA botched it after they found out, last April I think. Investigate it.

No, no, no! that Mcarthy woman said the EPA DID THEIR JOB.  She did not say they botched anything.

What the hell is going on?

MDEQ knew from Day 1, they had to have approved the switch to the Flint R. Investigate it.

Investigate what happened with the politicians.

It all stinks. I do know you'd like to keep the investigation limited to EPA.

Did the mayor of FLINT have any idea what was happening?

No, no, no! that Mcarthy woman said the EPA DID THEIR JOB.  She did not say they botched anything.

What the hell is going on?

That's would be nonsense just like MI's Governor playing the white knight on white horse card, and will save the day (with Fed help). Yup, he's talking like a savior now.

Did it have anything to do with the current government deciding to switch the city's water supplier without looking at the consequences of not being ready to hook up to the new system in time and forcing them to treat the water?

Did it have anything to do with the current government deciding to switch the city's water supplier without looking at the consequences of not being ready to hook up to the new system in time and forcing them to treat the water?

Pat attention for gods sake!

Try again:

You seem to want to blame the EPA when I asked if switching suppliers had anything to do with it you didn't like my asking.

Well here is an account of what happened.

AP/Paul Sancya
Health
You Need To Know About Flint, Michigan's Water Problem

Flint, Michigan is facing a crisis over lead pollution in its water supply. In fact, it's in a state of emergency.

Problems began for the city in April of 2014, when the city switched water supplies as a cost cutting measure. But the supply they switched to was much more polluted and corrosive.

Here are three things you should know about the ongoing water problem there.

Also: America Has an Affordable Housing Crisis

Flint_River_in_Flint_MIchigan.jpgBy U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, photographer not specified or unknown [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons - wikimedia.org

1. It's been declared a state of emergency.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%203.35.2Michigan.gov - michigan.gov

Earlier this week, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder declared a state of emergency over the elevated levels of lead found in its general water supply. The announcement was the latest acknowledgement of an ongoing public health crisis that has plagued the Rust Belt city since officials there switched water sources last April to cut costs.

Snyder wrote a statement released shortly before the declaration:

"I want the Flint community to know how very sorry I am that this happened. And I want all Michigan citizens to know that we will learn from this experience, because Flint is not the only city that has an aging infrastructure."

Lead contamination in Flint's water started when the city switched sourcing water from the same supply Detroit uses, to the Flint River. That high-salt-content water apparently corroded the pipes, leeching lead into the city's drinking water. It also contained copper and bacteria, NBC News reported.

2. The U.S. Justice Department is investigating the contamination.

Although the city switched back to the Detroit water, officials are on alert about the spread of the toxic substance, which can lead to stunted growth, behavioral problems, and permanent brain damage in young people.

On the same day as Snyder declared a state of emergency over the lead, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Michigan, a branch of the Justice Department, said they were opening an investigation into the matter.

Beach-GarlandSt-FlintRiverBridgeFlintMI.//creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons - wikimedia.org

"In an effort to address the concerns of Flint residents, the United States Attorney's Office for the eastern district of Michigan is working closely with the EPA in the investigation of the contamination of the City of Flint's water supply," a spokesperson for the office told the Detroit Free Press.

According to the Michigan branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, which first announced the Justice Department investigation, the federal probe into the crisis is "unusual."

ATTN: reached out to the attorney's office, but did not hear back before publishing this story.

3. Officials may have delayed action on the crisis.

The water contamination crisis has not surprisingly led to political shakeups and controversy.

Last week, the governor's office announced the resignation of Dan Wyant, the director of Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality. The agency was blamed by a special task force for failing to address the situation, despite research and public concern early on.

But it's unclear when Gov. Rick Snyder first knew about the crisis. Though Snyder said this week that the public would have to wait for a final report on the crisis, emails obtained by researchers at Virginia Tech showed that Synder's office may have known about the crisis months ago. Pressed about the emails at a press conference, Snyder refused to provide specifics, NBC reported

So NOW it looks like the EPA is involved.

Next question please. :howdy:

The first Q was already answered.

#2 was partially answered. More specifically, the State bureaucracy, under the leadership of Gov. Snyder, botched it, or something like that.

Try again:

1. Because he/she didn't do his/her job.

2. I can't answer this on a scientific level, but it seems to me that my answer of number 1 applies.