Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Critter Gitter

Trev Gowdys Monster Stripers

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anybody catch that show offshore of Montauk?  He was live lining flounder with lip hooked treble hooks catching 50 lbers.    Wonder what the law is for using these fish as bait none the less using trebles.  Not sure how he didn't gut hook.  Cool show with some pretty catch and release.

Stay safe over there.  Storm completely missed us.

Thanks Macus

Edited by Critter Gitter

CG,I don't know about trebles but as far as I know live flounder is excellent bait for hogs, but they must be legal size flounder.  Up there, they have a few different "flatfish" too.  Lots of wind and extreme high tides, beach erosion, etc. along Delmarva.  Not much snow...yet.  The latest WX info for here is calling for snow tonight accumulating to 4-8 inches.  We'll see.  Allen posted some pix from this morning on the SOL Outdoor Photography site.

CG, I saw that show the other morning, little surprised that they didn't use circle hooks for live lining, especially on mono. Maybe it's a northeast thing.

Some really nice fish for sure.

Now for me, if I caught a keeper flounder last thing I would do is send it down to catch a striper, it's gonna go for a cooler ride :D

Now for me, if I caught a keeper flounder last thing I would do is send it down to catch a striper, it's gonna go for a cooler ride :D

I definitely agree with you there.  I would not give up a tasty flattie.

can't really see using a treble hook for that, an using a flounder for bait , a stinger rig for blues I have used a treble hook, that's it , just my op. if you need to catch a fish that big ,  catch one that's legal , fish tank it ,feed it an let it grow , personel I think that show gives surf fishing humans a bad image , that we will do just about any thing to catch the biggin , maybe its my age , an what I may think as a fare way of fishing , but then again what do I know :banghd:  :worms:  :mad:  :soapbox:  :shock:  :wag:  :thumbd:  :rules:

Snag and drop fishing is common place, I don't really see a difference wether it's a bunker or flattie.

andy its not so much the flounder as it is the treble hook, as a kid we use to use treble hooks to catch carp, I was watching a show about Alaska  fishing for salmon , if you faul hook them you have to throw them back they had to be hooked in the mouth

charle having another rule  would just add to all the ones we have now , an it only pertains to the ones that already  lol fish as a gentleman , or should I say comfort fish lol :wave: