Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surffishinfiend

1,800 more US troops headed back to combat in Iraq...

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Success?  Mess?  I think the latter.

The U.S. will deploy 1,800 troops to Iraq to help fight the Islamic State group in an effort to take back Mosul, Iraq, and Raqqah, Syria, Carter wrote in a Politico editorial published on Friday.

Edited by Surffishinfiend

I spent time in Mosul in 2008 and wouldn't want to have to go back. Glad I retired in 2014.

We can kill ISIS as a regional power for awhile, set them back a few years by killing their leaders. But Islam will create a suitable substitute in short order.

We can kill ISIS as a regional power for awhile, set them back a few years by killing their leaders. But Islam will create a suitable substitute in short order.

Who knows, in a few years they might "transition" to a political party ala hamas/hezbollah and we'll start sending em gift boxes.

They will not be as formidable if they don't have OUR tanks and artillery 

This is not an increase in troops rather the normal rotation; 1300 to Iraq and 500 to Afghanistan.  

I was told we were withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan....President said it himself.  What happened?

I don't know how you could have possibly misunderstood, which makes me think this thread is a troll.

I was told we were withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan....President said it himself.  What happened?

I don't know how you could have possibly misunderstood, which makes me think this thread is a troll.

Whatever you say buddy.  There's no misunderstanding, this is a "troop increase", not a rotation.  Unless, you're right and Sec of Defense Ash Carter is lying.   :laugh:

All I want to know is, what are our goals over there?

Do we want to eliminate ISIS, just keep them contained, train the locals, what are we doing?

Until that is clear, it is hard to say if we are doing the right thing, or not.