Onions

Rate this topic

jimmy z

Specifically the ones that those Hot Dog guys sell on the wagons in Manhattan. I had a hankering for those onions on some Knockwurst. Are those onions prepared? Can one buy them retail? Darned good taste on those onions!

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

In Manhattan years ago the guys who sold the dirty water dogs had the best, imo. I think alot of those guys prepared their own too. But I'm gone look for them retail today.   

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

These are the ones you find in the store. I don't care for them. The truck I grew up with used to makes his own. You would always see 50lb sacks on onions in the truck. I don't know if they still do.

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Gus' son in law has the truck now.  The onions are still good.

Jimmy, the Sabrett ones are the ones you remember.  Too sweet for me now, but that's what the NY carts all used to have.

INGREDIENTSNutrition

FROM OUR SPONSOR

Fast. Easy. Delicious.
Made in 30 minutes or less

See Meal Ideas

On Sale Near You

See what's on sale in recipes and in your Grocery List.

Find stores

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft, but not brown.
  3. Add the water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir together.
  4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
  5. Add the vinegar and continue simmering for an additiona1 30-45 minutes, or until most of the liquid is reduced and the sauce is thickened.
  6. Makes about 1 cup.

powerless