Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
offdahook

weirdest lure u caught fish on?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Casting a bucktail in a rip and got a Stargazer and casting 1/4 spoon for Trout and salmon and caught the herring they were feeding on in the mouth and lastly a Bullfrog that eat a rubber worm when I pulled the worm off a lilly pad.

^^^ I dangled a Mepps spinner w/a 11/2'' rubber fish about 2' above the biggest bull i ever saw. He took it and it was all I could do to bring him in on my ultralight outfit. He fought like hell

As a kid, I found a 12" Rapala looking lure with props on the front and back and rooster tails. Way to big for my rod but caught some of the biggest LMB to this day. I wish I knew what happened to that thing or what it was called.

I was fishing a Mepps spinner slowly and I could just make out a sort of rounded profile critter swimming towards it. Just before it was about to take the hook, I realized it was a turtle. I got my lure out of there!

I have caught several trout that had old senkos in their stomach. I would have never though a little trout would take a full size senko that had been discarded into the water.

Although the lure itself isn't weird, the fish it caught on would qualify it within the spirit of this thread...and that was a carp on a small chartreuse mepps spinner...And in the past, I've tried tricks that I've read about (piece of cloth on a hook for bluefish, etc) and they've worked. 

WE were Striper fishing, and a school of snapper blues show up. Only had big bopper's for the striper's. So we use small hook's and some aluminum foil from our lunch wrapped around the hook's. They hit them like crazy. Man it was fun, Plus we didn't destroy our plugs.

As a kid, I found a 12" Rapala looking lure with props on the front and back and rooster tails. Way to big for my rod but caught some of the biggest LMB to this day. I wish I knew what happened to that thing or what it was called.

It sounds more like an old Heddon. Many of there lures seemed more like experimental aircraft. Fishermen loved them, they caught fish, but the designs didn't survive the era. Those are strange lures to catch fish on.