Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaycave141

Where can I find good steel wire?

15 posts in this topic

Looking to purchase some threw wire not pre-made like (we don't promote or discuss them here). Was wondering if some one could guide me in the right direction on where to buy em.

Posted (edited)

I just got some off the auction site. ** Tackle has it but their shipping cost is a deal breaker.I use 1/16in or .062 diameter wire. I'll use preformed nose loop wire. You can rework it, or cut it clean. All the skill is in the wrap of the tail loop anyway.

Edited by cheech

Interesting source. I have plenty of 16g. SS spokes laying around. How do you get to the 1900 deg. needed for annealing?

Interesting source. I have plenty of 16g. SS spokes laying around. How do you get to the 1900 deg. needed for annealing?

Heat them on the stove or using a propane torch to cherry red and just let them air cool at the part of the spoke wire that you plan on making the loop... 

Sy, Thanks for the source tip. This 15g.spoke twisted up ok during a dry run. The annealed middle bent easier.

post-17167-0-95236700-1453749612_thumb.jpg

I rode them, now I'll fish them! These spokes worked great, I did nip the heads off.

post-17167-0-08878900-1454064247_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip. My buddy owns a bike shop so there is an eldest supply of used spokes. No kore need to ordere wire for plugs! How do you protect the end of the plug when heating to make the rear loop?

Thanks for the tip. My buddy owns a bike shop so there is an eldest supply of used spokes. No kore need to ordere wire for plugs! How do you protect the end of the plug when heating to make the rear loop?

You don't protect the end because the first thing that you do is heat the ends to anneal the steel ...

Got it! I wasn't sure if annealing was enough or if it still had to be hot to bend the tail loop. Thanks I'll give the annealing a shot

I cold worked the last 5 plugs. Make sure they're good stainless(non magnetic). For 7" or so plugs you'll need longer road wheel spokes.