Thoughts on a TFO 9' surf rod vs 9' Mojo

Rate this topic

bluecrush

To start what will you be using this for? Lure weight? What lures do you typically throw? The lure threshold is different between the two. The mojo does good within its limits of 3/4-4 whereas the tfo does better between 1.5-5. It is rated up to 6ozs but that's a desperate lob cast.

I own the tfo but only borrowed the mojo 6 times.

They're two completely different rods, while both may fare well in similar conditions each is better suited for a specific purpose. First is the action, the TFO is alot faster than the mojo which works great for poppers not so much for pencils. As far as guides go mojos got the real deal Fuji guides whereas, the tfos got the knockoffs, if I'd known better I would've gone the mojo route. I don't like corrosion and I'm sure the mojos Fuji guides would've held up better. I'll cut the chase, get the mojo the weight is negligible, it's a great all purpose rod and you can be confident in st croixs warranty. It's moderate action makes it ideal for a variety of lures. It's very forgiving which makes it alot easier on your body, line, knots, etc. I only chose the tfo because as my first true surf rod I wanted something affordable with a lifetime warranty knowing I wasn't going to baby my equipment. In light of all this I do love the tfo, it's done everything I needed it to and handled more than my expectations. Like many people will tell you, you cant go wrong with either rods the rest is your preference and what feels better to you and your style. Best bet is to go and pick up both possible.

Now I use the legend as it's a happy medium between the two.

If your interested and live close to 07305 you can give my tfo a try.

Last thing because your new, your best asset is that search bar up top! Use it and it will be your best friend!

Edited by MarvA

MarvA,

Thank you for all the great information.  Since I plan to throw more in the MOJO's range I'll put it on the top of my list.   Very generous offer to try your TFO, but I'm in Hawaii.  Well if your ever in the Islands we I'll take you out for some light plugging.

aloha,

Crush

I fished both. Preferred the tfo. It's all personal preference but I found the mojo heavy and clunky for lack of a better word. Tfo was lighter, cast great and could throw a wide range of plugs. Agree though, not a great pencil rod.

Not a drop experience with the TFO..

But my 9' Mojo does very well from 3/4-2.5 and can cast 3oz OK... I have casted 1/2oz Bucktails and bombers and it can get them far enough for the area I fish. Again, no experience with the TFO, but I like the Mojo 9' 3/4-4 very much.

Alex

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

To start what will you be using this for? Lure weight? What lures do you typically throw? The lure threshold is different between the two. The mojo does good within its limits of 3/4-4 whereas the tfo does better between 1.5-5. It is rated up to 6ozs but that's a desperate lob cast.

What is the actual sweet spot on the TFO? 1.5 - 5 is fairly broad. Is the TFO terrible with a 3/4 - 1oz bucktail, as in I won't feel anything in the weight range?

the newer tfo's have Fuji guides

I think i read the newer models have a fully wrapped lower handle and not the split xflock. Is that correct? Not a big fan of split rear grips.

I don't think the Mojo does not have fuji guides.  They are a cheaper brand. 

Here's what is listed:  Specialized, weight-saving surf guides with zirconium ring for greater casting distance and accuracy. Sloped frame reduces line tangling.

Legend listing:

Fuji® Torzite® RV K-Series surf guides with titanium frames for unrivalled, 100% corrosion-proof performance. Torzite is the first ceramic created to be a guide ring, and is stronger, lighter and 5X less abrasive than Fuji SiC.

Avid listing:

Fuji® K-Series Concept Tangle Free guides with Alconite® rings and black frames. Ideal for super braid, mono and fluorocarbon lines, the sloped frame and ring “shed” tangles before they become a problem.

Looking over many of the rods, they list Fuji or other brands when they are a high quality name brand guide and leave it out altogether when they use cheaper versions.

What is the actual sweet spot on the TFO? 1.5 - 5 is fairly broad. Is the TFO terrible with a 3/4 - 1oz bucktail, as in I won't feel anything in the weight range?

I think i read the newer models have a fully wrapped lower handle and not the split xflock. Is that correct? Not a big fan of split rear grips.

So on my model the 10'6" I tried throwing a Ron Z tail with a 3/4 oz jig head a few times. It will throw it but not well at all, the rod will barely load up. If the fish are close in it wouldn't be a problem but for finesse baits I would definitely look in other areas. My most successful casting with this stick has been SS 2 3/8oz needles and plugs around there. You can feel confident to really lean into it with 3 1/2oz plugs too, some of my pencils are heavy like this and I'm not afraid to let it rip. As far as the handle that has been perplexing me as well. The rod I bought has full xflock grips, not split like the pictures you see on the website. The other models I saw in the store also had full grips so I'm not sure whether mine is the old or new version. I do really like this rod though, tons of power for a light weight two piece.