Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slacker

Making snow look good?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Since it looks like there is gonna be a ton of it, what are the camera and PP tricks of the trade for a good snow picture... specifically, how do you make it look like a nice bright, Colgate smile white instead of dingy white?

Bump the exposure up by at least 1 stop.

(1 1/3rd is usually good)

The meter will always read wayyy too low because it's designed to read 18% grey.(or so).

Shooting in snow is always fun and can be a bit of a challange.

You got me thinking with that question and made me realize something. I actually have not had to think much about adjusting exposure for snow for years as I shoot manual and use electronic viewfinders. I just spin wheels till it looks near what I want and shoot RAW so I can play with it later. One has the same advantage using live view on SLR's or even the lcd's on the back of cameras not having viewfinders. Get off the auto modes and shoot manual adjusting the exposure values till it looks good on the screen. If you shoot RAW format you can dial it in the middle of the exposure you want and bracket as well with static subjects.

As mentioned above some of today's newer cameras have sooo much dynamic range capabilities that if you shoot keeping the histogram inside the wickets you can manipulate the look how ever you want in post processing. When shooting snow I would definitely take the camera out of the auto modes and shoot manually adjusting values till your histogram is inside the wickets or it looks good on the lcd , EVF, or live view.