Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

saltiga 5500 expedition vs stella 18000

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Toss up. Best is to go to Alan Hawk's site and read his reviews.

If you live in the USA the deal maker/breaker for me is that Shimano offers "Platinum Service" for Stella owners that is a full service and often parts too (like a lot of money) for just $30 with guaranteed 2-day turn around on their end.

They literally have saved me hundreds of dollars going that route over Daiwa.

Alan rightly loves the Daiwa Saltiga, but he doesn't have that amazing service we do. Also, Alan points out some troubles with the Stella he got which have been resolved.

Ford vs Chevy lol both are very capable reels being high end also. I personally have the expedition and absolutley love it. Feels like a diesel truck where when I had stellas they felt like high end exotic cars. Price point in Daiwa has come down a ton also.

The Daiwa 5500h is fairly small at 21oz. And the Stella 18000 is a monster at 30oz.

The Stella 14000 is right in the middle size wise at 25oz. There are actually four sizes as far as the Stella SWB and the Saltiga.

Stella 5000 and Saltiga 4000H weight.........15oz

Saltiga 4500' 5000, 5500 weight.......21oz

Stella 8000, 10000,14000 weight.....25oz

Stella 18000,20000 and Saltiga 6500,7000,8000 weight.....30oz.

As far as quality goes you can't go wrong with either. 1 and 1A as far as I am concerned.Shimano seems to charge less $$ on average for service.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tailslap

Yeah. Two different class reels. Better comparison is the 18000 vs the 7000 Dogfight. Regardless, 6 and one half dozen minus the comment on the warranty but these reels rarely break and I prefer JDM.

just curious. Might get a spare spool for my 5500 and use it for jiggin the canal. I know everyone says the 18k is great for jiggin but a spool will only cost me 250 instead of 650 for a whole new reel.

my 2 cents, the Daiwa Exped. over the NEW Stella 18000, the older Stella,'08, is so much better than the new model Stella, I just think Daiwa makes a better fishing reel, over Shimano

my 2 cents, the Daiwa Exped. over the NEW Stella 18000, the older Stella,'08, is so much better than the new model Stella, I just think Daiwa makes a better fishing reel, over Shimano

Just based on my purchase of a 2015 Saltiga 4000, I'd agree...the only advantage I'd put in Shimano's favor in a 'Saltiga vs Stella SW' argument is the casting ability...the spool design is a little better. However, it's not a critical weak link on the Saltiga's part and everything else about the Saltiga is better