Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Dove tail scope ring question

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Do the Leopold / Redfield dove tail rings come in a "see through" model ? 

I'd like to be able to use the iron sights as well as the scope.

I have taken them off of a lot of used guns...

Much better options for many reasons.

You can't have your head/eye positioned correctly for both the scope and the irons.

You want the scope mounted as low as possible.

Get a low power variable.

Get good quality QR rings and bases.

I just looked up the Leopold rings above.

Do you mean .22 rings for a grooved receiver?

If so I think it's an equally poor choice.

I have 20mm fixed 4x on many of my .22s

I don't think "C-Thru" rings are a bad choice for all applications. Most probably, but not all. If you have a steady rest you can still shoot accurately through the scope even without a solid cheek weld. The one rifle I currently have them installed on is my Marlin 1895 45-70, which I use primarily as a baited bear stand gun. I might be hunting baits anywhere from 20 to 100 yards away and the option to use irons at the closest distances is nice, if not necessary. Even if I take my Nikon Pro Staff 2-6X down to lowest magnification it is still not a great option with an up close black bear in dwindling light.

Edited by BARhopper

better off with a reflex sight mounted on top of the scope if you need a no-mag, low light, quick target acquisition option.

I've never heard of a sight mounted on top of a scope, is there really such an animal?

Pretty common. The hot setup is mounted at 45 degrees and you cant the rifle to use the dot sight. Pretty far from arguing with Jerry, but on my deer gun I'm pretty happy with a 1-4 Leupy and both eyes open up close. A little dry fire and the crosshair settles in almost as fast as a dot. Less crap hanging off the gun brush busting the better.

post-30633-0-69016200-1454454777.jpg

better off with a reflex sight mounted on top of the scope if you need a no-mag, low light, quick target acquisition option.

Where would the lazer and spotlight go then?

Pretty common. The hot setup is mounted at 45 degrees and you cant the rifle to use the dot sight. Pretty far from arguing with Jerry, but on my deer gun I'm pretty happy with a 1-4 Leupy and both eyes open up close. A little dry fire and the crosshair settles in almost as fast as a dot. Less crap hanging off the gun brush busting the better.

But that's not on the scope.

Here this scope has the dot on it, somewhere in or under all the other stuff.

I'm not sure but it looks like the scope has an illuminated reticle as well, just in case I guess.

post-30633-0-33946700-1454460440.jpg