Before or After? Through wiring...

Rate this topic

keale

I thought this might be an interesting discussion,

Do you put on your final coat before or after through wiring? and why?

One of the reasons I ask is that, "How do you connect your lures to the spinner if you wire after?

I tried using wire through the plug and connect to spinner, but the lure just spinned and created lumps.

Pics of what you do would be nice.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I tension 1 end with a spring

ahhh, got it, so even your gromets are put on after final coat? Do you use glue or just the wire to connect to plugs?

I thru wire before application of epoxy.  Seals everything up nicely and lures are much easier to handle,

yeah, i like working with the tail loops when applying the final coat

In the beginning I assembled before epoxy but I feel the end look is much much better looking assembling after epoxy. To me assembly is wiring, tail grommets, and lips. Before epoxy I mount belly grommets, eyes, nose grommets. Doing it this way opens up some challenges though like keeping epoxy out of lip slot, keeping fingers and bodily fluids off the raw paint while putting in belly grommets and eyes so you need to be careful but the end result is worth it IMO

what's the secret word for tonight

Put a couple bends in the wire before you jab it thru and they won't spin.

Use junk for this and save your good wire

I cut heavy coat hanger wire for this. Bend a hook on each end, cut one off when it's time to pull it out.

And FWIW. I'm a two thinner coats of epoxy believer. First coat while it's still on the wire (but put the lip into its slot first. I put a bit of epoxy on the nose first to cover behind the lip and to act as lubricant to help slide the lip into place).

Second coat after the first coat is dried and the plug is assembled.

As a bonus that protects the paint from damage while you're assembing and doing the tail wrap.

If you're looking bo build pluggage for a profit, you want nothing to do with this, way too time consuming.

If you're building for yourself it's a great way to go. Combined with heat epoxy sealing, makes for a near indestructable plug.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I forget the gauge but the wire I use for spinning is tie wire for rebar. You can bend those ends many times to get plugs on and off. Also reuse many times.

Warning------- it has a light coat of oil on it and needs cleaned off before use.

It will get you if you don't clean it / makes fish eyes in epoxy

I have been installing all grommets after epoxy but have had a couple belly grommets pop so I'm thinking of doing them before. Just bellies.

And yes keale I use 5 min epoxy to set the grommets

Sudsy there's no way I could sell for profit. Haven't sold any and don't plan on it. It's still too much fun.

Besides I would probably only earn a dollar or two an hour and who needs a job like that.

Edited by wvbud22

x2

In the beginning I assembled before epoxy but I feel the end look is much much better looking assembling after epoxy. To me assembly is wiring, tail grommets, and lips. Before epoxy I mount belly grommets, eyes, nose grommets. Doing it this way opens up some challenges though like keeping epoxy out of lip slot, keeping fingers and bodily fluids off the raw paint while putting in belly grommets and eyes so you need to be careful but the end result is worth it IMO

"Making fish late for where ever the hell they were going since 1979."

I do the final wire and hardware after the epoxy dries. The only challenges i run into are the lipslot filling in with epoxy and the clothes hanger i am using to hold the plug on the spinner epoxying solid into the plug. For the lip i run a card through the slot while it is still curing but may still need to hit it with the hacksaw. When the hanger gets stuck in the plug i just heat the wire up which melts the epoxy enough to get it out.

I use a cut down folded over index card in the lip slots, don't forget to take it out a couple hours after or you will be sawing it out. I use the same wire to spin my plugs as the I use for thru wiring, 3 foot  .062 308L SS wire, I have been using the same wires for years.  A few kinks in the wire and I put 3 plugs on each wire. Like above if they get stuck, which only rarely happens, some heat on the wire in front of the dam will make it release. Not much else to say. Practice makes perfect.

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight