Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Red Dot or Low Power Variable Scope?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I currently have an Aimpoint PRO on my SW MP AR15 and I have to admit it is one clear optic that is easy to use at close ranges (under 80 yards).  Beyond that distance, I have trouble discerning targets (71 year old eyes) and have been kicking around sending it back to Midway for a trade on something like a Burris MTAC 1X4 and their PERP mount.

I'd appreciate some input from the AR gurus out there.

Thanks.

might be cheaper just to get a magnifier behind it.

with a magnified optic you lose field of view close up.

having said that, i just bought a leupold mark ar 1.5-4x  with a firedot (illuminated) for an spr build i just did.  wasn't too expensive (got a 10% discount code for optics planet - i know a guy who has thousands if you are interested).

Spig;s this is a leatherwood cmr 1x4x24 I have it on my AR it's about $100 dollors less than the burris you mentioned . It's solid glass my 53 year old eyes hit a compact disc out to 250 yards easy and it's real clear .check it out it my fit your bill  http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood-cmr-series-hi-lux-1-4x24-riflescope.html?_iv_code=LW-RS-CLMRNG-CMR14X24-R&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQiA496zBRDoi5OY3p2xmaUBEiQArLNnK3Rc-vWnD726JKJCxYs1C7wpkPWCZl7N9pQfvSqT6jQaAo2B8P8HAQ

post-47125-0-71724200-1453604420.jpg

Spig it sort of depends on how you intend to use the firearm. You going to hunt coyote's at 200m or use it for urban defense room to room. I have seen m4's come in for resale with multi rails having both scope and eotech mounted as well as a lazar sight/ light.

Like in fly fishing one has to first establish the tools primary intended usage and dress it accordingly. Asking which sighting system is best for you is near impossible to answer without knowing your intended usage. If you want it to be the do all and end all then just load the rails up as some do. It is heavier and less nimble but you'll have a sight available for the target presented no matter the distance or lighting.

Look at some of the ar type weapons used in three gun... I would not like to hike in 10 miles for varmits carrying one but they are sighted for anything.

Instal a magnifier

Do a search on "Larue Hensoldt Po Boy Special Magnifier."  They have been discontinued but are a pretty good value if you can get your hands on one.  2.5 x if I recall correctly.

And here is the Eotech 3x magnifier ...

116063.jpg

aimpoint 3x magnifier

328213.jpg

Edited by fishweewee