Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kent I

Renzetti cam vs non-cam holding power?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Sorry everybody...spell checker strikes again.

Is there a significant difference in holding power between the cam and non-cam versions of the Renzetti Traveller jaws?

I'v used both and, in my experience, there was no real difference in holding power.  But I do prefer the convenience of the cam jaws and that's what I use now.  JMO

Thanks for the reply JMO. There are some good deals to be had on the non-cam type, although the new ones don't exactly break the bank. I'm a beginner and looking for something I won't want to replace in 6 months. So far, I can't tie fast enough for convenience to be a factor, but rigidity definitely is.

My first vise was a renzetti presentation 3000, the one with 2 tension screws on the jaws. It was adequate, but not impressive. The cam on the renzetti vises doesn't lock the way a dyna king or peak does, they lack tenacity imo.

whats the difference?  Cam and non cam.  which cost more also.   Also on my vise I have a spring at the back?  what is that for.

whats the difference?  Cam and non cam.  which cost more also.   Also on my vise I have a spring at the back?  what is that for.

I don't remember there being any difference in cost, one will be a hair faster. Your spring is a material clip, the only time I ever use mine is if I'm trying to keep a dubbing loop out of my way while I'm doing something else. The one on my regal went in the trash.

I don't have any experience with the cam, but with the two screw version, here is a little trick.  If you replace the front screw with a longer one you can hold really large hooks, I've tied on a 9/0 with no problems.  

What you do is open the front close to the dimension you need, then turn the back screw as if you were tightening the jaws on the hook until the jaws are parallel.  Now insert the hook and tighten the front screw until the jaws touch the hook, now tighten with the rear screw as normal.  voila!  Found this out after breaking the front screw and replacing it with a longer one.

O

Edited by Oakman

I have the 2 screw version and find it doesn't hold larger hooks in place all that well. I feel like I am tightening it up pretty hard but the hook still moves. If I was just buying a vice I'm not sure I would buy the renzetti again or maybe go to the saltwater version.

Never owned the Cam version but I did own the 2 screw version and I was never really happy how it held the larger saltwater hooks! if I were to purchase it again I would,go for the cam version. Though I have moved onto other vices (no pun intended) but if I was a beginner or looking for a second vice to take on the road without breaking the bank I'd recommend the Renzetti.