Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MassMino

My 1st couple Bucktails

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Nice! They look better than my first jigs! :)

Ater a month of tying you'll look at your pile and realize you have a problem. ;)

Edited by ASrod

Uh oh another person who has discovered how stupid simple this really is. Throw a few feathers in there and a second color and people will be calling you a craftsmen and a god to the bucktail world. Next you will realize that you will actually save a ton of money by tying bucktails yourself. Good job.

Uh oh another person who has discovered how stupid simple this really is. Throw a few feathers in there and a second color and people will be calling you a craftsmen and a god to the bucktail world. Next you will realize that you will actually save a ton of money by tying bucktails yourself. Good job.

Yes, exactly what my thoughts were.  and Yes, you too can become a bucktail artist in just 2 days with my video and book, for only $99.99 lol..  :laugh:

It is pretty easy, and yes it will be cheaper to make my own. 

Yes, exactly what my thoughts were. and Yes, you too can become a bucktail artist in just 2 days with my video and book, for only $99.99 lol.. :laugh:

It is pretty easy, and yes it will be cheaper to make my own.

Oh boy... another one starting down the "I'll save money " road. Six molds, kettle, pile of lead, boxes of hooks, toaster ovens, packs of powder coat, fluid bed, paints, 10 colors of bucktails, vice, five colors of threads in three weights... flashabou, Krystal flash, head cement...

...but honey...Im saving money.

I tell guys not to tie flies to save money... cause you'd have to be fishing 12 hours a day, every day of your life to actually save money on flies. You do it for fun, and the satisfaction of catching fish on something you made...and if you need specific variants that are not available commercially. And to avoid insanity in the winter.

Black dog I have to completely, and respectfully, disagree with your statement, sort of. I save a TON of bucks tying myself. It comes down to the individual. If your an obsessive compulsive gear junkie you will probably spend a lot of money. If your simple minded like me you hardly spend a penny. All I need is a few colors of bucktails, a few colors of thread, flash, paint, and feathers. I have never in 35 years ever paid for lead. I don't need a 40lb production pot. I use a simple cast iron pot and ladle. My fluid bed is less then 5 dollars of pvc. Powder paint is 20 bucks a pound if you buy it from non fishing sites. A pound will last forever and is enough for thousands of jigs.

Since simple works and works effectively I prefer to keep things simple. People are charging 4 to 8 bucks for a single bucktail. For the price of 50 bucktails you can buy everything, and more, then you need to make them and you will get the 50 bucktails to boot. A mold cost 40 bucks, the equivalent to buying 10 cheap bucktails. Once you have the mold you can make the ten bucktails for a few more dollars worth of material.

To me, It is unquestionably far cheaper unless your a hoarder and a gear junkie. I am not. I'm a saving money junkie. I would not do it myself if I could buy them for less.

Edited by poopdeck

You can save money easy by tying your own jigs. A mold for $30. You can forage for lead for free or very cheap if you know where to look, or offer someone jigs for lead.

Powders on the net can be found for well under $20/lb.

Fluid beds are NOT needed but are nice to have and cheap to build, gives a thinner, even coat so you save money on powder. There are good prices on the net to look for hooks, box of 100. I can PM if needed.

Toaster ovens can be found almost every w/e under $10 when yard sale time starts. It doesn't take long to go through $100 worth of jigs. If you only go through a few a year, then you are doing it for the

fun/pride that you did it on what you made.

I get 100's of pounds of lead a year for the past 8 years, and have only bought lead ONE time. 400 pounds of boat ballast for $50 and a dozen 4oz. spros.

I'll make that deal anytime.