Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Running Ape

Shorter canal rod/blank for saltist 30 conventional?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I would like to mine the group for wisdom. I bought a level wind saltist and I love it. This spring it will be my primary canal reel. There is only one issue, I do not have a canal rod for it.

I have been using an 8' home made, but it is a little short as well as light. I tend to walk and carry only one rig, so versitility is important.

Here are the parameters I need:

Has to be able to cast and work 3-4 ounce jigs, metal, buck tail, plastic.

Should be able to put a large sp minnow or sebile out just far enough to catch if fish are breaking on bait.

Ideal length 9' and 2 piece.

Rod would work but prefer blank.

Why a 9' foot?????  I din't think a 9' will give you the reach...........

My all around Canal rod is an 11' Tiralejo (Shimano) 3-6 oz. heavy power and fast action.  Not the best set up for plugs but very adequate, and it is also awsome jigging rod.

This is a semi custom rod by Bruce Miller at Canal B&T that was originally a "all purpose" rod that I had modified to a stairght conventional with the Saltist 30 LW reel.

Edited by b-ware

A 9 footer might be a bit short. But a 10 footer is a good compromise.  I fished a 10' Harnell for about 25 years. Used it for everything from jigging, plugging and live bait. The advantage is, the shorter rod is easier to cast from the rocks or along the waterline since you're less apt to hit the rocks on your cast.  The disadvantage is when reeling back along the rocks. Having that extra foot helps to keep your lure off the rocks when reeling back.

But for a good caster, the difference in distance achieved between a 10' and an 11' is negligible.

I looked online and at cms for blanks and it seems 10' gives many more options. 10' it is I think.

Did that harnell have cork grips?

No, no grips. Back in those days we all used cork tape.

Very good decision to visit CMS. Excellent shop. They build a lot of canal rods. They had some nice custom casting XRA1205 (10') and XRA126 (10'6") last time I stopped by.

I love both of these rods for the canal.

Very good decision to visit CMS. Excellent shop. They build a lot of canal rods. They had some nice custom casting XRA1205 (10') and XRA126 (10'6") last time I stopped by.

I love both of these rods for the canal.

I hate that shop. I want to buy everything in it, that's why I hate it. 

I prefer a 10'6 but never had any problems fishing a 9' or 9'6 rod. Aside from keeping the line off the water when drifting eels I see no substantial issues. At certain spots or at the top of the west you might actually prefer it. Can't go wrong with a 10'fter though!

9' is fine for jigging. Years ago, there was a guy name Bob Aflaque, Filipino gent, who jigged and bounced worms with an 8-1/2' Harnell 540.

10' is good all around length.

11' for plugging. Jigging with a long rod is a lot more work.