Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccb

SW Florida fishing / Feb. and March/ rainy? / stormy?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

By the weather pattern so far , it looks like it could be wet down there this spring.  Fishing could be off? 

Why would wet weather turn the fishing off. Their not migratory so not like they will go away. Fish eat when it rains. Actually my favorite time to fish. Less crowds. You know what. Yeah. Fishing sucks in the rain. Everybody stay home. Lol

Cold fronts can help some fisheries. Kingfish and sails go wild. Inlets get good when it blows. I'm actually trying to get out tomorrow night because it's going to be brutally nasty. The patch reefs will be on fire for groupers and Muttons. I actually appreciate the nasty weather. Plus it does mean less crowds.

Having said all that. I'm speaking the Atlantic side. Is the west that negatively affected? I'd think the passes might heat up.

Winter is the Dry season, not that you could tell so far this year. But it should dry up and warm up Feb and March. With the occasional cold front.

Peace

Over past 20 years I would say Feb is worse month (Colder windy) March starts to warm up quite a bit and seems bite is starting, Normally Very Dry March to late May , Here in Big Bend N of Tampa always little colder, not much in way of winter tides, The trout Bite seems to pick up in late March and in April Full bore

Here Crystal River we need some temp shift the water temp dropping down to low (61) ,next few days over night lows in 30's, we are just really rebounding from kill we had a few years back, Yea I know we have lack of snow/ice, hope all stay warm and be safe out there

Over past 20 years I would say Feb is worse month (Colder windy) March starts to warm up quite a bit and seems bite is starting, Normally Very Dry March to late May , Here in Big Bend N of Tampa always little colder, not much in way of winter tides, The trout Bite seems to pick up in late March and in April Full bore

Here Crystal River we need some temp shift the water temp dropping down to low (61) ,next few days over night lows in 30's, we are just really rebounding from kill we had a few years back, Yea I know we have lack of snow/ice, hope all stay warm and be safe out there

I'll go with that. X2  

Edited by ccb

While we are kicking the South FL weather around I will say that the hot and humid is expected around late May, but can come as early as March. Right now I can't wait.  I get through the cold fronts by always saying that the current cold front is the last one of the season. As has been said, often on the first night of a cold front it can be crazy as far as the fishing goes. So put on your blue jeans and long sleeved shirt and go down to the water.

Peace

Going down again in Feb, have a place in Choko, very wet and windy this year.  But there has been a lot of heat as well.  Right now is cool, but this is winter for them.  Just wetter than normal.  Fishing has been really hot or really not in the everglades.