Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

Olympian Bill Johnson R.I.P.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Take 5 minutes out of your busy lives and google this guy, this guy kicked a$$ at the olympics against all odds for USA, then experinced unbelievable bad luck and hardship. I met him a few times back in the day, decent guy!. Then thank your lucky stars you're alive and do onot suffer any of his issues.

RIP Bill

Bill Johnson, the 1984 Olympic downhill champion who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a 2001 crash, died Thursday, the U.S. Ski Team confirmed though Johnson’s mother.

“He suffered the worst kind of pain for the past three weeks,” said his mother, DB Johnson-Cooper, according to the Oregonian. “Then he could no longer swallow, which prevented him from being able to have nourishment.”

Johnson predicted he would win the downhill at the Sarajevo 1984 Winter Games and followed through, becoming the first American man to capture Olympic Alpine gold.

The man with the “Ski To Die” tattoo was left off the 1988 Olympic team, lost his son to drowning in 1992, and his marriage ended in 1999.

Johnson attempted a comeback prior to the 2002 Olympics, but a horrible skiing crash left him in a temporary coma and with severe brain injuries. In 2010, he suffered a major stroke.

In June 2013, he spent two weeks in intensive care while doctors unsuccessfully attempted to find the source of an infection that attacked all of his major organs.

By last March, Johnson could no longer move his arms or legs and couldn’t really speak, according to The Associated Press.

Edited by iphish

He was awesome  Afraid of nothing.  I met him at Mammoth Mountain once.

RIP and thank you BIll for showing the world what bravado and balls looked like!  :th:

Sad.  He was incredible.  I remember watching him in the '84 Olympics, he was incredible.  Saw a documentary on him a few years back very tragic the events in his life.  RIP

Got to see him train on my hill w the rest of the US Ski team in 1985.  He acted like an ass in town, but I will never forget the races in 1984.  It seemed like he knew that was his one chance in life and he went balls out to make it happen. 

He was awesome  Afraid of nothing.  I met him at Mammoth Mountain once.

RIP and thank you BIll for showing the world what bravado and balls looked like!   :th:

He did have ALOT of balls ! 

Great place to ski.. it snowed 4 ft. in 24 hrs when we were there early 1980's