Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gabriel Pescador

van staal VS275XP or zeebaas ZX27RS

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I'm in between the van staal VS275XP and the zeebaas ZX27RS, but I'm really leaning towards the zeebaas for the fact its made in the US and also for the fact that the factory is in Connecticut also people say its smoother than the vanstaal.

what are the thoughts about it and personal experience?

I'm in between the van staal VS275XP and the zeebaas ZX27RS, but I'm really leaning towards the zeebaas for the fact its made in the US and also for the fact that the factory is in Connecticut also people say its smoother than the vanstaal.

Are Zeebaas still made in the US? If you like USA made products, have you considered the Penn Torque?

Are Zeebaas still made in the US? If you like USA made products, have you considered the Penn Torque?

not really into penn products, never had luck with them & yeah 80% of the zeebaas parts are made in the us & every thing is sent to the factory in Connecticut to be anodized and assembled

ZeeBaas is a Ferrari,VS is a Peterbuilt. Zee27 is the size of a 250 in terms of the spool-VS 275 spool size is larger-the diameter of a VS300. I own both and like them both-Ford vs Chevy,take your choice!

Marc

Heres my 2 cents. Between me and my wife we owned 3 VS. IMO good reels, best surf reels I've used!! I fished between 130-150 days a year. My reels always get dunked every outing (due to where I fish). Two weak links on the VS...line roller & flyer bearing. Both had to be replace every year on the 2 reels we mostly used.

ZeeBaas I've only used the first gen. ZB22 a hand full of times so im no authority on ZB but the reel seemed fine. Longevity I have no idea but id assume its right there w/ VS.

VS are easier to self service from what im told, I self serviced my VS's and the are easy to do.

My advice is to pick the one that feels best to you and will suite your needs, both are considered to be top notch surf reels.

Heres my 2 cents. Between me and my wife we owned 3 VS. IMO good reels, best surf reels I've used!! I fished between 130-150 days a year. My reels always get dunked every outing (due to where I fish). Two weak links on the VS...line roller & flyer bearing. Both had to be replace every year on the 2 reels we mostly used.

ZeeBaas I've only used the first gen. ZB22 a hand full of times so im no authority on ZB but the reel seemed fine. Longevity I have no idea but id assume its right there w/ VS.

VS are easier to self service from what im told, I self serviced my VS's and the are easy to do.

My advice is to pick the one that feels best to you and will suite your needs, both are considered to be top notch surf reels.

1. for the Line roller ,, I assume you are referring to the bearing, just pack the bearing with grease, and the seal should have not issue for many years to come.

2. what "Flyer bearing" are you referring too?

ZeeBaas is a Ferrari,VS is a Peterbuilt. Zee27 is the size of a 250 in terms of the spool-VS 275 spool size is larger-the diameter of a VS300. I own both and like them both-Ford vs Chevy,take your choice!

Marc

yeah the 250 and z27 are the same size but the retrieve is different, im looking for a 40inch retrieve 

Line roller groves

Flyer bearing is under the spool cup. Its a shielded bearing that is a cheap Chinese piece of junk! No corrosion resistance whatsoever!

Line roller groves

Flyer bearing is under the spool cup. Its a shielded bearing that is a cheap Chinese piece of junk! No corrosion resistance whatsoever!

I still dont know what bearing, attach is a schematic ,, what number ?

post-16277-0-12956800-1453486201_thumb.jpg

5J..., IIRC its called a "radial bearing"

Why do you think this bearing has more issues than any other radial bearing on this reel? Like 13A for example?

Why do you think this bearing has more issues than any other radial bearing on this reel? Like 13A for example?

Because in roughly 10 years of owning VS's I don't recall ever replacing the handle bearing. The flyer bearing was replaced every year.

Why, I don't really know why but all 3 of my VS's were made in USA, that bearing was stamped "china". Maybe the handle bearing was made else were.

1. I do not see issue with the 5J bearing, unless your seal having issue. Also, I remember that those bearing are Stainless Steel, not some cheap china bearing.

You can easily change that 5J bearing with a simple home make tool.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/438724-how-to-dissemble-your-van-staal-macguyver-style/

2. Same with the 13A bearing, unless your seal having issue, here is just a simple open the side cover replace the bearing, no big deal ,,, if the bearing go bad.

In the end every reel would need maintenance but for the van staal VS new VR, ZB are easy to work on. like a car it would need regular oil change and checkup to last.