Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeg26er

New Star Paraflex Rod - Guides not aligned?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Very common in mass produced rods. Worst one I seen was in a new model Lamiglas super surf 2g which looked like Ray Charles sighted the guides himself before epoxy. I sent it back..

Ordered the 11' Star Stellar Light from tackle direct,same problem,i sent the rod back,and asked them to check the new one before sending it out,they did,and the replacement was perfect.

Edited by relentless pursuit

I bought a Tsunami Airwave conventional in case I went on a party boat. I never looked very carefully at it but when I did, one of the guides was way off in alignment. I probably could have sent it back to TD, but didn't have a shipping tube and didn't want to pay for shipping. It's definitely something to look out for.

Edited by HKJonathan

it's going back for a replacement. I am hoping the replacement is better and not worse...

You are having a laugh. This is not bad for factory. The rod is still very fit for purpose. Annoying I know but seriously its not that bad  and will not effect casting performance at all.  Lot of hassle returning gear for minor faults.

I have seen worst custom even. One of the issues when buying mail order. You don't get to eye ball down the rod.

Mike

@mike- well that is depressing. I figured paying well over $200 for a rod would get you a bit better quality control? I really hope the replacement is not worse...

according to the lines you drew it looks like the blank is bent which is very common. depending on how they align the guides it creates an optical illusion sort of. what i mean is if you look at the rod from reel seat to tip the guides will look misaligned. but if you look tip to reel seat the guides will look aligned. its very common and on a casting rod will not affect the performance much, if at all. 

@mike- well that is depressing. I figured paying well over $200 for a rod would get you a bit better quality control? I really hope the replacement is not worse...

Joe 

So do I. i07 does make some good points. I still think they could have done a better job with your guides. The other guides are nicely aligned and I do not see any obvious excessive curve in that blank to cause the stripper guide to be off that much.

I build custom rods like i07 does and we do sometimes get blanks which are awkward to build on at times but not bad enough to return and they can make guide alignment a pain in the rear end.

On some if I get a customer who insists I build on the spine then I am forced often to try and align guides onto a blank which is curving to either the left or the right. The guides can be sitting symmetrical about the blanks  X axis but because of the curve they don't look always great when you squint down the rod.. 

Blanks can vary tremendously from batch to batch of the same model.

The best way to both align and to check for good alignment post wrapping is the naked eye and good light and a bit of interpretation skills.

Can't think of a jig that would do it better or quicker. You also have to ensure you do not damage the threads on the wraps if trying to mount into some kind of jig.

Old style quality control is a method of catching faulty product often at the end of a manufacturing process when its too late.

Modern QC uses statistical process control to build quality in. The process itself is proven and very stable so it works again and again. The person building the rod or a given part of it is in this system responsible for their own quality. No roving Inspectors or final assembly checks are made. This is considered a non value added action and many customers will not agree to pay for it if it is included in the process. They should not be necessary. The system gets audited on a set time basis.

Who knows what QC system this rod was built to. No system will make 100% defect free products. World class manufacturing for Automotive is 50 parts per million. For aircraft it is surprising much much higher and they are up in the air when they go wrong.

Hope you get it sorted Ok. If you can buy seen that is your best bet especially with rods as they are such a rear end pain to return. I hope your supplier bothers to check the one they are sending out to you as a replacement.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Mike, you dont see the bend? I know you brits are known for crooked teeth, but crooked sight? :)

Edited by i07nyc

Mike, you dont see the bend? I know you brits are known for crooked teeth, but crooked sight? :)

I heard that the other day about our teeth. I got one missing but rest are straight enough but age has chipped them as has 60lb mono line.

Ok truth be told I did go back and have a look to see if I could see the bend but no. So I will go back again and have another deko.

But as all the others are pretty good I still reckon the person tying the guides on could have made a better job of it. If more guides were looking as though they were out of alignment that would have hinted more strongly to me that the builder was doing his/her best to average out the alignment.

Sorry for Joe. For likes of us two we would just accept it or if it really peed us off we would just take off and re tye the guide on.

Acid wrapped ( back to american terminology  now) casting rods wow how would they go down with most guys.

Off to take another Butchers then. (= look)

Mikey

Ok I had another old man squint and yes there looks to be a small curve. The next guide up is a bit off to but only by a smigen. Still reckon its builder error and that the curve in this blank should not have prevented much better guide alignment. Shame as the others are to be fair pretty good. 

My problem is that I has been around a long time so you get used to seeing work like this especially when it comes to rods in both custom and factory.

Why shops don't do a quick check before they send rods out beats me. That few extra seconds would save a lot of their time and they would have a very positive experience with their customer rather than a negative one.  

I don't except that often offered reason as no time to do it. Thats just BS and is not world class retailing behavior. Times are hard and you have to find ways to differentiate your business over others in my view. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver