Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

A Spinning Reel That Has An Adjustable Stem

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Dan

A reduced height stem does offer some benefit. If you use a spinning reel for bait fishing the shorter the stem the less bait damage. On a big cast the longer stems causes a twang on line release that can mess up worm type baits. Over here in the day to reduce this effect Guys would tape a piece of plastic or aluminium tube sawn in half down the length  and tape it onto the rod butt at the point they would normally trap the line.

Also if you use spinning reels for float fishig the shorter stem means it is a lot easier to control line coming off the spool with the reel hand index finger.

For spinning not much advantage at all except it will reduce the twang and strain on the tip of your casting finger.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Looking at the photo there is no way it adjusts distance from the rod just angle of the reel if anything. Where the handle is bolted to the reel is a fixed position joint. There is one other spot where it looks like a possible hinge so unless your concerned with the angle it's not very adjustable.

Edit: I doubt that's even a hinge because there is no locking wing nut or anything to keep it in place.

Edited by Patrick Cambria

Looking at the photo there is no way it adjusts distance from the rod just angle of the reel if anything. Where the handle is bolted to the reel is a fixed position joint. There is one other spot where it looks like a possible hinge so unless your concerned with the angle it's not very adjustable.

Edit: I doubt that's even a hinge because there is no locking wing nut or anything to keep it in place.

Yeah.

Where the foot attaches to the stem there may be a socket cap bolt that looks pretty small.

Guess it does have some positives. Thanks Mike. On a custom rod though you would align the guide layout with the reel attached. That being said it seems that it may help with a store bought rod.

Dan

An adjustable reel stem isn't a bad idea. I have reels where I'd like a bit of a longer stem because the bail raps my knuckles, like the Nautil 7000. This one apparently isn't it, though.